Solving a Physics Problem: Accelerating Plane

• Thread starter huskydc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, The conversation is about finding the minimum acceleration needed for a block of mass 1.2 kg to slide down an inclined plane with an angle of 28° to the horizontal. The block is held in place by a coefficient of static friction of 0.73. The suggested solution is to use Newton's 2nd Law and solve for acceleration, with the coordinate system set at 0 degrees with the horizontal. Various equations were attempted, but none proved successful. The final equations used were: ma = - n \sin \theta + F_{f} \cos \theta and 0 = F_{friction} \sin \theta + n \cos \theta - mg. The asker is looking for assistance in
huskydc
this is another post, but i just want to post it in this room and see if ANYONE knows how to solve this:
I've tried everything, now I'm getting depererate

An inclined plane that makes an angle of 28° to the horizontal is mounted on wheels. A small block of mass m = 1.2 kg rests on the plane, held there by a coefficient of static friction µ = 0.73.

The plane is accelerating to the right. What is the minimum acceleration in order that the block slides down the plane?

Any help would be great !

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Newton's 2nd Law and solve for a.

The 0 degrees with the horizontal system of coordinates will be the easier one.

i tried literally everything, would anyone please help me solve it? lol...

i came up with the following, after lots of equation, i used it to solve for a, didn't work either

g sin (theta) - mu (a sin (theta) + g cos (theta) ) = a cos (theta)

Well, with the coordinate system set as i said above.

[tex] \sum F_{x} = ma = - n \sin \theta + F_{f} \cos \theta [/tex]

[tex] \sum F_{y} = 0 = F_{friction} \sin \theta + n \cos \theta - mg [/tex]

Attachments

• theta.JPG
    theta.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How can I determine the acceleration of an object on an accelerating plane?

To determine the acceleration of an object on an accelerating plane, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity of the object, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes to change from the initial velocity to the final velocity.

What factors affect the acceleration of an object on an accelerating plane?

The acceleration of an object on an accelerating plane can be affected by the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the angle of the plane.

How can I use acceleration to solve a physics problem involving an accelerating plane?

To solve a physics problem involving an accelerating plane, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to calculate the acceleration of the object. Then, you can use other equations such as Newton's second law (F = ma) to find other variables, such as force or mass, that may be needed to solve the problem.