How can I calculate wheel thrust for a given acceleration and time?

In summary, the formula for calculating wheel thrust required to accelerate a car or truck to a given speed is:f = dp/dt.
MrDieselT
Ok so here's what I'm trying to figure out:
Given a required time i need to figure out how much wheel thrust is required to accelerate a car or truck to a given speed. (ie take a 5000 lb car to 75 mph in 15 seconds...)
I've been searching but can't find a good formula to use.
please help

Physics news on Phys.org
omg, I was just talking about this formula in another thread!

f = dp/dt! lol!

(note: lol is not a part of the formula)

could you break that down for me. what is dp and dt? and I'm thinking f is force?

I can find the G Force exerted on the car i just don't know how to turn that into time to a given speed

here is what i have so far
Givens:
Weight: 5000 lbs
Wheel Radius - 10 in
Tq @ Wheel 3000 ft-lbs

Calculated:
Wheel thrust = 3600 pound-force of thrust = .72 g

Last edited:
Let's break it down a bit. 75mph is 110 ft per second. If it takes 15 seconds to get to 75 mph, the vehicle experiences an average acceleration rate of 7.33 feet per second squared or about .23 gs. That means that your 5000 lb vehicle has to generate an average of 1140 lbs of thrust, or 950 ft lbs of torque at the axle shaft for your tire size.

If you could accelerate at a constant .72 g, you'd reach 75 mph in 4.74 seconds. Better dial up the boost!

thanks! actually I'm working on designing a EV truck with 6 150hp AC motors one on each wheel so making enough tq for 15 seconds is not a problem... my problem is building a battery pack, Super Cap pack and generator to power it all.

Now how does this work if i start at say 25 mph and want to go to 75 mph with all the same numbers

F = MA so to accelerate at the same rate (A) you continue to apply the same force as calculated. BUT: only when air resistance and rolling friction becomes significant do you have to worry about "drag"...that depends on the shape of your car...but might be appreciable at maybe 40 MPH and up...

Well, since your change in speed is now 50 mph instead of 75 mph ...

This of course assumes that your acceleration rate stays constant, which it won't for a few reasons (two listed above) but I'm thinking that you're after a general trend rather than the exact numbers.

Yeah i know acceleration won't be constant but tq will remain constant thanks to nifty little devices called VFDs. like you said I am just after the general numbers not the exact one. thanks for you help!

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how much an object's speed is changing.

How does time affect acceleration?

The amount of time an object accelerates for can affect the overall acceleration. The longer an object accelerates, the greater the change in velocity will be over time, resulting in a higher acceleration. Similarly, a shorter acceleration time will result in a lower acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some real-life examples of acceleration include a car speeding up, a ball falling towards the ground, or a rocket launching into space. Any time an object changes its speed or direction, it is experiencing acceleration.