What is the Accretion Rate of Earth?

In summary, the professor suggested that a flat circle moving through the inter-planetary dust cloud would gain a certain amount of momentum, and then to consider the volume of the cylinder it would create, he found that the area of a circle with the radius of the Earth to be about 1*10^8 km^2. To make it into a cylinder, he multiplied by an unknown height h in kilometers and found that 5x10^{23} grams of dust would accumulate over a year. This number is ridiculously high, and the professor recommended that I consider a more reasonable approach to the problem. After doing some math, I found that it would take 10^{18} years for the Earth to increase its mass by 50%, which
interdinghy

Homework Statement

i) Estimate (in kg/yr) the rate of Earth accreting inter-planetary dust.
Assume a particle number density of n=1e-8/m3, a particle mass density of 5 gm/cc, a particle radius 50 microns and a relative velocity equal to Earth's orbital velocity (so the dust particles are, on average, at rest with respect to the Sun -- which would be expected if dust were deposited by long period comets with a uniform distribution of inclinations.

ii) How many years would it take Earth to increase its mass by 50%?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I talked with my professor and he told me to consider a flat circle moving through the cloud, and he said it would gain a certain amount of pass per second, then to consider the volume of the cylinder it would make.

Doing this, I found the area of a circle with the radius of the Earth to be about 1*10^8 km^2 accounting for significant figures. Then to make it a cylinder, I multiplied by an unknown height h in kilometers.

Next I multiplied this by the particle mass density:

[itex](1×10^{8})(h)km^{3} × 5 g/cm^{3}[/itex] and got [itex]5×10^{23}[/itex] grams

I looked up the speed at which Earth is orbiting the sun, and found it to be [itex]9.398×10^{8}[/itex] km/year, so I set [itex]h = 9.398×10^{8}km[/itex] and plugged it into what I had.

My final answer was that Earth accrued [itex]5×10^{29}[/itex] kilograms of mass per year and this is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's right to view the Earth in this problem as a flat circle, and I definitely don't see how it's right to see the volume it creates as a cylinder since the Earth isn't moving in a perfect straight line all the time. Also, he gave two values that I never used, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there too.

Can someone maybe clear up what he was trying to tell me or explain a better way to approach this problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
5g/cm^3 is the density of the dust particles, not the density of material in your volume.
The flat circle for Earth is fine, but you have to consider the low density of dust particles and their small mass.

interdinghy said:
[itex](1×10^{8})(h)km^{3} × 5 g/cm^{3}[/itex] and got [itex]5×10^{23}[/itex] grams
That last should be 5×1023g/m × h.

Your methodology is sound, but your density is wrong. The density you're given is typical for the density of a rock - or a piece of rock dust. There are also two pieces of information you haven't used - a radius and the number of dust grains per cubic meter. Can you put them all together?

So would it be right to say that since the particle number density is [itex]100cm^{-3}[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{m}{v} = \frac{5g}{1cc}[/itex]

Then there must be 5 grams of mass per 100 particles? That gives .05g per particle which is different but I don't think that completely fixes the answer, and I still can't see where I'd need the radius of the particles.

The number density tells you that there are 100 particles per cubic centimeter, yes. But what is the mass of an individual particle? Hint: they're almost certainly pretty close to spherical.

then is this right?

[itex]\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3} = \frac{4}{3}\pi 50\mu m^{3} [/itex]

[itex] = 5×10^{-7}cc[/itex]

[itex]\frac{5g}{1cc} = \frac{xg}{5.0×10^{-7}}[/itex]

[itex]x = 5×(5.0×10^{-7})[/itex]

[itex]x = 2.6 × 10^{-6}g =[/itex] the mass per particle

Because this seems a lot more like what the mass of a particle should be.

Then I'd adjust the mass to [itex]3×10^{-6}[/itex] and do what I was doing before,

particle number density × mass per particle

[itex](\frac{1×10^{17}}{km^3}) × (3×10^{-6}g)[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{0.3kg}{m^3} [/itex] the amount of mass the Earth gains per [itex]m^{3}[/itex]

Then I multiply this by the volume of the Earth-cylinder

[itex]1×10^{14}(h)m^{3} × \frac{0.3kg}{m^3} [/itex], h becomes unitless

[itex] = 3×10^{13}(h) kg[/itex]

to make it for a year, I use the orbital speed from my first post, to get

[itex] h = (9.398×10^{8})[/itex]

[itex]3×10^{13} × (9.398×10^{8}[/itex]) = [itex]3×10^{22}kg[/itex] rounded for sig digits. This still seems incredibly high?

The particle number density is 10/km^3 not 1*10^17. (it was 1e-8/m^3 not 1e8)

HossamCFD said:
The particle number density is 10/km^3 not 1*10^17. (it was 1e-8/m^3 not 1e8)

This change gave me [itex]3,000,000 \frac{kg}{yr}[/itex] adjusting for sig. figures, which is a much more believable answer.

Doing the math for part ii tells me that it'll take ~[itex]10^{18}[/itex] years for the Earth to increase its mass by 50%, a much less worrisome time frame.

Thank all of you for your time.

1. What is the current accretion rate of the Earth?

The current accretion rate of the Earth is estimated to be around 5-10 centimeters per year. This means that the Earth is growing by about 5-10 centimeters in diameter every year.

2. How is the accretion rate of the Earth determined?

The accretion rate of the Earth is determined through various methods, including radiometric dating of meteorites and rocks from Earth's crust, analysis of the composition and age of the Earth's core, and studies of the Earth's magnetic field.

3. Has the Earth's accretion rate changed over time?

Yes, the Earth's accretion rate is thought to have decreased over time. During the early stages of the Earth's formation, the accretion rate was much higher due to the higher density of material in the solar system. As the Earth grew in size, the rate of accretion slowed down.

4. How does the accretion rate of the Earth compare to other planets?

The accretion rate of the Earth is relatively slow compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, Mars is estimated to have a current accretion rate of about 2.5 centimeters per year, and Mercury's accretion rate is even lower at 1 centimeter per year.

5. Can the Earth's accretion rate change in the future?

It is possible for the Earth's accretion rate to change in the future, but it would likely be a very slow process. The Earth's growth is primarily influenced by the collisions of smaller objects, such as asteroids and meteorites, with the Earth's surface. As long as these collisions continue to occur, the Earth's accretion rate will remain relatively constant.