Accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a basic oscilloscope that is easy to set up, repeatable, portable, and convenient. The conversation also touches on the benefits of a portable battery-powered oscilloscope and the preference for a dual channel with logic analyzer and a sample rate of >10mhz. The recommendation is made to check out a specific product that offers better performance for the same price as lower end options.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone got any experience?

Don't need anything with the accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope but ease of setup, repeatability, portability and convenience are more important.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean like a portable battery-powered oscilloscope?

Just a basic one wot you can plug into PC. Only need one channel.

i've been drooling over one of those for a while now, i wouldn't waste money on a single channel one though. at least dual channel with logic analyizer > 10mhz.

But are they any good?

i've played with the software and it looks good, i haven't used the hardware so i couldn't tell you how well it works, sample rate and bit width of the adc will determine the performance, check this out:

http://www.bitscope.net/store/?p=view&i=item+2 [Broken]

thats what i'd get, for the same price as one of the lower end picoscopes this is better in every way for the same price.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors affect the accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope?

The accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the internal components, the calibration of the instrument, and external factors such as temperature and humidity.

2. How does the bandwidth of a CRT oscilloscope affect its accuracy?

The bandwidth of a CRT oscilloscope refers to its ability to accurately display signals of different frequencies. A higher bandwidth means the oscilloscope can accurately measure higher-frequency signals, while a lower bandwidth may introduce errors in the measurement of these signals.

3. Can the accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope be improved?

Yes, the accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope can be improved through regular calibration and maintenance. It is also important to use high-quality probes and ensure proper grounding to minimize errors in measurements.

4. How does the sampling rate affect the accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope?

The sampling rate of a CRT oscilloscope refers to how often the instrument takes a measurement. A higher sampling rate can improve the accuracy of the oscilloscope by capturing more data points and reducing errors caused by undersampling.

5. Can the accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope be affected by external interference?

Yes, external interference such as electromagnetic fields and noise can affect the accuracy of a CRT oscilloscope. To minimize these effects, it is important to use proper shielding and grounding techniques, as well as to perform measurements in a controlled environment.