Accuracy of SR's Time Dilation & Space Contraction

In summary, the accuracy of SR's time dilation and space contraction has been verified by NASA through measuring time dilation in space probes with a relative accuracy of 10^-5. GR has not been found to an accuracy better than 10^-5. The number of significant digits for both SR and GR has not been determined.
Wizardsblade
Does anyone know what is the most accurate reading of SR's time dilation or space contraction? I.e. has anyone been able to verify the accuracy of SR to 10^-15?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not to 10-15, no, (where did you get that figure- just make it up?) but NASA has measured time dilation in space probes agreeing with SR to a relative accuracy of 10-5 which is pretty darn good!

Yea I was just made 10^-15 up as an example. What about GR? have they found it to an accuracy of better then 10^-5?

*Edit*
I guess my real question is: How many significant digits have GR and SR been found? i.e. 123.4567 would be 7 significant digits even though it is found to 10^-4.

Last edited:

1. What is time dilation in the context of special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer moving at high speeds relative to another observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial (non-accelerating) observers.

2. How does time dilation affect the accuracy of measurements in special relativity?

Time dilation can lead to discrepancies in the measurement of time between two observers, as time appears to pass at different rates for observers moving at different speeds. This effect becomes more pronounced at higher speeds, and can impact the accuracy of measurements in special relativity.

3. What is space contraction in the context of special relativity?

Space contraction, also known as length contraction, is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds. This is another consequence of special relativity, and is related to the concept of time dilation.

4. How does space contraction affect the accuracy of measurements in special relativity?

Similar to time dilation, space contraction can also lead to discrepancies in measurements of length between observers moving at different speeds. This effect becomes more significant at higher speeds and can impact the accuracy of measurements in special relativity.

5. Are the effects of time dilation and space contraction always observed in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the effects of time dilation and space contraction have been observed in various experiments and are essential to our understanding of the universe. GPS satellites, for example, must account for the effects of time dilation in order to provide accurate navigation information. However, these effects are only noticeable at very high speeds and are not significant in everyday life.