Accurately calculating the pressure drop through an orifice

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a specific nozzle has a flow of 900cc/min and a flow co-efficient of 0.85 at 9.8 MPa. The question is posed on how to calculate the pressure drop if fluid is run through the nozzle at 200 MPa. The easiest way to calculate the pressure drop is by using the Bernoulli equation, which takes into account the potential and kinetic energy of the fluid. By knowing the inlet pressure, outlet pressure, and velocities at both the inlet and outlet, the pressure drop can be calculated using a specific formula.
Mo Samatar
upload_2016-4-13_12-4-28.png

I have a scenario where a specific nozzle is defined to have a flow of 900cc/min.
The flow co-efficient for this nozle is defined @9.8 MPa -> flow co-efficient= 0.85.

If I then run fluid through this nozzle at say 200 MPa and I would like to calculate the pressure drop.
My understanding is taht I would not get an accurate answer using the flow co-efficient of 0.85 as this is valid at 9.8 MPa.

Therefore how can I calculate the pressure drop?

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-12_16-29-42.png
    upload_2016-4-12_16-29-42.png
    328 bytes · Views: 694
  • upload_2016-4-12_16-29-49.png
    upload_2016-4-12_16-29-49.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • upload_2016-4-12_16-29-56.png
    upload_2016-4-12_16-29-56.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,078
Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to calculate the pressure drop across a nozzle is to use the Bernoulli equation. The Bernoulli equation states that the sum of the potential energy and kinetic energy of the fluid is constant. This means that if you know the inlet pressure, outlet pressure, and velocity of the fluid at both the inlet and outlet, you can calculate the pressure drop across the nozzle.Assuming you have all of the necessary information, the pressure drop across the nozzle can be calculated with the following equation:Pressure Drop = (Inlet Pressure) - (Outlet Pressure) + (1/2)*(Inlet Velocity^2 - Outlet Velocity^2)In this case, since you know the flow rate, you can use the equation for flow rate to calculate the velocities at both the inlet and outlet. Once you have those values, you can substitute them into the Bernoulli equation to calculate the pressure drop.

1. What is an orifice?

An orifice is a small opening or hole that is used to control the flow of fluid, gas, or steam in a system.

2. How is the pressure drop through an orifice calculated?

The pressure drop through an orifice can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account factors such as the fluid velocity, density, and orifice size.

3. What factors affect the pressure drop through an orifice?

The pressure drop through an orifice can be affected by the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), the orifice size and shape, and the upstream and downstream conditions (such as pressure and flow rate).

4. What are the units of measurement for pressure drop?

The units of measurement for pressure drop can vary depending on the system and the units used for other parameters. Common units include pounds per square inch (psi), kilopascals (kPa), and bar.

5. How can I ensure an accurate calculation of pressure drop through an orifice?

To ensure an accurate calculation, it is important to have precise measurements of the fluid properties, orifice dimensions, and upstream and downstream conditions. It is also important to use the appropriate equations and units of measurement in the calculation.