Who's Right in this Bet: 1 in 5 or 1 in 50?

• Thread starter Quail
  • Start date
In summary, the person with the bet is right because the probability of getting an ace, king, queen, jack, or 9 of spades remains 1/5 even if the stack is subdivided.
Quail
I have a bet with a friend who says that if you have 50 cards with 1 card being the ace of spades which you deal in 5 10 card stacks you then get a 1 in 5 chance of turning the ace of spades instead of a 1 in 50. He gets there by making 5 one card stacks with 1 stack being the ace of spades which would be 1 in 5. He then puts the remainder of the 50 cards in each stack creating 10 cards per stack and argues the chances of turning the ace of spades remains a 1 in 5 chance. I insist that it goes to a 1 in 50 chance. Who is correct and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your probability doesn't change no matter how you might subdivide the stacks. That is irrelevant. It remains 1/50.

A simple argument to see this is proof by contradiction: The probabilities must all add to one. Let's assume that every card is different and that the deck is only missing the two of clubs and the two of hearts.

If your friend were correct, then the probability of getting an ace, king, queen, jack, 10, or 9 of spades is equal to 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 = 6/5 which is already greater than 100%.

In fact the total probability (getting any card) would be 50/5 = 10. That's impossible.

well it depends...on how your viewing it...if you can turn over all cards in a stack and say
the AoS is there...then yes it is 1/5 because your space has changed into the stacks and no the cards...so it depends on how you view it.

That's redefining the game then.

Look, I could create a game where the stack is size one. Turn over the "stack" and if I have an ace of spades, then my probability of getting an ace of spades is 100% for that "stack". What's the point?

Quail said:
I have a bet with a friend who says that if you have 50 cards with 1 card being the ace of spades which you deal in 5 10 card stacks you then get a 1 in 5 chance of turning the ace of spades instead of a 1 in 50. He gets there by making 5 one card stacks with 1 stack being the ace of spades which would be 1 in 5. He then puts the remainder of the 50 cards in each stack creating 10 cards per stack and argues the chances of turning the ace of spades remains a 1 in 5 chance. I insist that it goes to a 1 in 50 chance. Who is correct and why?

One question: does his solution allow him to see any cards before he makes his 1-in-5 try at turning up the AoS? If so, he changes the odds. If not, it's 1-in-50.

Forget logic - have him prove it. Have him subdivide the deck any way he wants. Get him to turn up the Ace of Spades one out of five times. (If he does, I'd take out a second mortgage on his career as a magician.)

1. What does the phrase "1 in 5" mean in this bet?

The phrase "1 in 5" refers to the probability or chance of an event happening. In this case, it means that there is a 1 in 5 chance of the bet being correct.

2. How is "1 in 5" different from "1 in 50" in terms of probability?

"1 in 5" has a higher probability than "1 in 50". This means that the bet with "1 in 5" is more likely to be correct than the bet with "1 in 50".

3. Can you explain the concept of probability in this bet?

The concept of probability in this bet refers to the likelihood of an event happening. In this case, the bet with "1 in 5" has a higher probability of being correct than the bet with "1 in 50". This is because "1 in 5" means that there is a 1 out of 5 chance of the bet being correct, while "1 in 50" means that there is a 1 out of 50 chance.

4. How can you determine which bet is more likely to be correct?

The bet with the higher probability, in this case "1 in 5", is more likely to be correct. This means that if you were to repeat the bet multiple times, the bet with "1 in 5" would be correct more often than the bet with "1 in 50".

5. Is there a way to increase the chances of winning in this bet?

There is no guaranteed way to increase the chances of winning in this bet. However, understanding the concept of probability and making informed decisions based on the given probabilities can increase the chances of winning.