Acetanilide Solubility: Is It Soluble?

• Thread starter PhiPhenomenon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation discusses the solubility of acetanilide in petroleum ether and diethyl ether. The speaker is unsure of the solubility in petroleum ether, but knows it is soluble in diethyl ether. They also mention that the sample size may have affected the results.
PhiPhenomenon
Hey guys.

Really amateurish question but I just wanted to check something. I was doing an experiment a little while ago and from what I recall my acetanilide sample was soluble in petroleum ether but I just read somewhere that some other fellow got a result suggesting it is insoluble. So my question is is it soluble? I know it dissolved fairly happily in ether but I don't want to make any assumptions.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I was doing an experiment a little while ago and from what I recall my acetanilide sample was soluble in petroleum ether but I just read somewhere that some other fellow got a result suggesting it is insoluble. So my question is is it soluble? I know it dissolved fairly happily in ether but I don't want to make any assumptions.

Petroleum ether or diethyl ether?

chemisttree said:
Petroleum ether or diethyl ether?

I know for certain that it is soluble in diethyl ether but uncertain for pet. ether.

Very sparingly soluble in pet ether.

chemisttree said:
Very sparingly soluble in pet ether.

Thanks.

When I did the test the sample was quite small and the pet ether in excess so that could explain why my sample dissolved in its entirety?

I don't think so. It's more likely that the sample was so small you lost sight of it.

1. What is the solubility of acetanilide in water?

The solubility of acetanilide in water is approximately 6.9 grams per 100 milliliters at room temperature.

2. Is acetanilide soluble in organic solvents?

Yes, acetanilide is soluble in most organic solvents such as ethanol, methanol, and chloroform.

3. How does temperature affect the solubility of acetanilide?

The solubility of acetanilide increases with temperature, meaning that more acetanilide can dissolve in a given amount of water at higher temperatures.

4. Can the pH of a solution affect the solubility of acetanilide?

Yes, the solubility of acetanilide is slightly affected by the pH of the solution. It is more soluble in acidic solutions and less soluble in basic solutions.

5. What happens if you exceed the maximum solubility of acetanilide in a solution?

If you exceed the maximum solubility of acetanilide in a solution, the excess acetanilide will not dissolve and will form a solid precipitate at the bottom of the solution.