1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acetic/Ethanoic Acid Foam

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    An experiment was carried out in class. Basically, Baking Soda was added to different concentrations of Ethanoic Acid. The plot of 'Maximum Foam observed' vs. 'concentration of the Acid'. The curve went up but then dropped noticeably! :confused:

So basically, with high concentrations or low concentrations; the foam created was low. it was as if there was an optimal concentration?

Note that this experiment was very fair. So Error? or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your description suggests the concept of limiting and excess reagent. Did the experiment use always the same quantity of sodium bicarbonate?

4. Jun 14, 2007 #3
    yes it did.

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

symbolipoint:
    prasannapakkiam:
    What you observed about the foam height is a logical result.

6. Jun 14, 2007 #5
    I would love if you would please explain why? :smile::smile::smile:

7. Jun 14, 2007 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The bubbling comes from the decomposing -bicarbonate; a constant amount of bicarbonate was used in every trial, keeping it as a limiting reactant when the acetic (ethanoic) acid was used in excess.

8. Jun 14, 2007 #7
    Sorry, But I am still not sure. Even if I put acid to excess, shouldn't the foam still rise to the same maximal level. However, it went down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?