Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acetone in water influence its enthalpy of vaporization

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I'm currently developing a waste heat recovery device as a side project. The system I've created uses a solution of acetone and water. One step in the process involves vaporizing acetone from the water at a low grade heat temperature (note: acetone does not form an azeotrope with water).

Based on the fact that the acetone is dissolved in water, I've assumed that the enthalpy of vaporization of acetone from solution would be greater than if acetone were not in solution.

However, I have been unable to find specific information on the enthalpy of vaporization of acetone dissolved in water and how this energy changes depending on the ratio of acetone to water in solution.

If anyone can find some or all of this information it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

EJ

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does acetone undergo hydrogen-bonding with water?

4. Dec 18, 2015 #3
    Yes, acetone does undergo hydrogen bonding with water and that is the reason acetone is miscible in water. This paper details the binding energy between acetone and water:https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228425952_Theoretical_analysis_of_the_hydrogen_bond_interaction_between_acetone_and_water [Broken]

How can information on hydrogen bonding be used to determine the enthalpy of vaporization of acetone in water?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Dec 20, 2015 #4
    How do you determine the enthalpy of vaporization of the acetone from the acetone-water solution?

6. Dec 20, 2015 #5
    A quick thought or two, without thinking it through in detail: If you can find information on the vapor pressure of both water and acetone as a function of composition and temperature you might be able to tease out the enthalpy and entropy of the process.

Basically, the vapor pressure can be related to the Gibbs free energy and the entropy can be related to the temperature coefficient of the Gibbs free energy. Subtracting the TS term will give you the entropy.

As I mentioned, I have not thought this through in detail, so please just consider it a hint as to how one might proceed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook