1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acetylene Combustion equation

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1
    Acetylene (C2H2) is burned with a stoichiometric amount of air during a combustion procss. Assuming complete combustion, determine the air-fiel ratio on a mass and mole basis.

I'm not asking for help on the actual question I just don't know what the basic chemical equation is?

C2H2 + (O2+3.76N2) -> what?

Does it yield CO2, H20 and N2? Thanks for any help
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You must start with these facts: Your reactants are acetylene and oxygen. Your products are carbon dioxide and water. Nitrogen is probably not going to be involved, but I'm not absolutely certain about this. Try balancing the equation from the point of view of the reactants and products just stated.
  4. Mar 17, 2007 #3
    Well my question wasn't with balancing it, I just wanted to confirm what the product were, not how much of each. So CO2, H20 and N2 are the products?
  5. Mar 18, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

Treat N2 as a spectator - don't put it into the equation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Oct 31, 2011 #5
    I know this a bit of a dead thread, however:
    Nitrogen most certainly is not a spectator. The products depend completely on the F:A ratio. Many NO(x)'s, N2O, and CN- are some of the products running a "stoichiometric" flame. All produce molecular bands in FES spectra.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?