How to Achieve 2500lbs+ Thrust: Ducted Fans, Turbofans, or Other Methods?

• Thread starter jezym108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thrust
In summary: So multiplying by the rotational speed (1,000 rpm) and multiplying by the diameter (10'), you get 25,000 watts. It's not a bad idea to look into variable-pitch blades. They can increase the efficiency of the fan and decrease the amount of noise and air resistance.
so ron youre planning on building an electric helicopter?

my idea (i have a lot of ideas) was to redirect thrust from a small jet engine through some pipes so it comes out of the end of the rotors and because its a tip jet there's no need to counteract torque

also ron how do you plan to keep your craft safe it something goes wrong?
would my idea of a mesh around the rotors work?

another thought i had was what if you keep the rotors below the person instead of above their head that would make it safer wouldn't it?

also is it more efficient to have the rotors above or below the rider?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jezym108 said:
so ron you're planning on building an electric helicopter?

my idea (i have a lot of ideas) was to redirect thrust from a small jet engine through some pipes so it comes out of the end of the rotors and because its a tip jet there's no need to counteract torque

also ron how do you plan to keep your craft safe it something goes wrong?
would my idea of a mesh around the rotors work?

another thought i had was what if you keep the rotors below the person instead of above their head that would make it safer wouldn't it?

also is it more efficient to have the rotors above or below the rider?

I posted a video clip of the Hiller flying platform, on another thread. As far as rotors above or below, i would think not much difference.
Mesh will be unnecessary weight, and like NASA even grams will make a difference.
I believe Bell Helicopters patented jet tip thrust from a jet engine several years ago, for a gyro type helicopter.
Safety? cover all your bases before you pull yourself off the ground.

My design ideas cover a lot more than electric, the motor/generator is what keeps things in motion after it has been loaded with energy, and likely, compressed air will have a role as you are talking about.
As stated, some of my thoughts will need testing and may not work in the conditions they will be applied, my biggest struggle will be keeping weight down, without compromising safety.
Some of the fun of being retired, is just messing around doing things you like.:smile:

jezym108 said:
my idea (i have a lot of ideas) was to redirect thrust from a small jet engine through some pipes so it comes out of the end of the rotors...
Have you any idea of the complexity of plumbing that kind of stuff through a swash-plate? :eek:

jezym108 said:
and because its a tip jet there's no need to counteract torque
How do you figure that? It might not be the same kind of torque as a regular chopper, but you won't get off scott-free.

jezym108 said:
what if you keep the rotors below the person instead of above their head that would make it safer wouldn't it?
As long as you don't fall out of your seat... :rolleyes:

If I ever win the lottery, I have a few ideas I'd send to Scaled Composites, along with a check for $10 million to see if they can develop them, but short of that, this thread is just a lot of daydreaming. As said, you need serious engineering help and that isn't something you can get on an internet forum. It takes thousands of hours of design time to answer these questions in a serious way.

Please lock this thread.

Agreed, but with the encouragement to Jezym to further his interest and studies into the sciences. I see some good potential here, but it needs to be properly directed.

Agreed. Well spoken.

hey
thanks for the help guys

i'll be finishing my A-levels this year and plan on doing aeronautical engineering at university