Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acid and base Against eyes

1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    What causes more damage to the eye?

acid or base or both of them?? and why??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Acids and bases have varying strengths so a strong acid will do more damage than a weak base etc. Equal strength would have equal damage - since this is usuallywhat "strength" means in this context. So the short answer is "it depends".

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How do you define "amount of damage"?

5. Apr 15, 2015 #4
    The eye is a complex delicate organic structure.
    Exposure to either concentrated nitric acid or concentrated sodium hydroxide will damage it it disasteriously.

6. Apr 21, 2015 #5
    i think most of the bases and acids have damage to the eye.....

i dont say all bases and acids i saied most of........

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  7. Apr 21, 2015 #6
    i know, thank you for reply.
    but what about weak acids and weak bases??

like C6H8O7, NH3

8. Apr 21, 2015 #7
    Weak acids and bases;
    Probably if flushed with water very quickly the damage would be very little, and the damaged tissue might even regenerate to some point.

9. Apr 21, 2015 #8
    friend.acid is acid and base is base.
    all causes damage to the eyes.

you are right.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  10. Apr 21, 2015 #9

Borek

Please don't post nonsense when you have no idea what you are talking about. Many eye medicines are weak acids and weak bases, yet they are not dangerous for eyes, quite the opposite.

11. Apr 21, 2015 #10
    oops you are right borek.
    but not all weak acids and weak bases.
    am i wrong??

http://www.ophthobook.com/questions/question-what-chemical-is-worse-to-get-in-the-eye-an-acid-or-base [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  12. Apr 21, 2015 #11

Borek

You are looking for simple answers to poorly defined questions. Sorry, but there is simply no way to answer them in a meaningful way.

13. Apr 21, 2015 #12
    http://pain.com/archives/2012/05/22-chemical-burns-eyes/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  14. Apr 21, 2015 #13

Borek

But you are aware of the fact that it is a dose that makes a poison? That the effect depends on the concentration? That even relatively concentrated solutions of weak acids and weak bases may have pH quite close to the physiological one? That solutions that are neither acidic nor basic can harm the eye and be quite dangerous?

What is the weakest thing in your room?

15. Apr 21, 2015 #14
    what wrong with you borek?
    what do you mean(What is the weakest thing in your room?)?
    can you explain please ?
    friend i am not here to fight .
    i just want to know what causes more damage to the eye (acids or bases) .
    and you are saying that my question is( poorly defined questions)....... can you tell or teach me how to write questions??
    as i said before i am not here to fight (dear borek) i am here for the science!

16. Apr 21, 2015 #15
    thank all who helped me (rootone,Dr.ahmad adnan,Simon Bridge,borek)

17. Apr 21, 2015 #16

Borek

This is an example of a poor question, which can be understood in many ways.

I am afraid it is not that simple. That is - you have to learn not about asking questions, but about things themselves. Once you know and understand enough physics and chemistry, you should start to see why questions you are asking are ambiguous. I gave you examples of things that make the question unclear, but so far you never tried to address them.

18. Apr 22, 2015 #17
    Although the molarity (strength, if you will) of the acid or base certainly affects the answer, there is a reason that base (alkaline) is much worse to get into the eye than acid of equimolar concentration. There is a difference in how the two behave. For instance, you can store nitric acid in a glass container, but not sodium hydroxide. Strong sodium hydroxide will etch glass.

Acid interacts with proteins in the fluid and outer layers of the eye forming a neutralizing "shell" of sorts. This prevents the acid from eroding deeper into the eyeball. But a base like sodium hydroxide does not interact in the same way and will continue to erode deeper and deeper into the eye. This means that you can flush acid out of an eye, but may never be able to adequately flush base to prevent further damage. Don't get the idea that you can regularly rinse your eyes with acid. It WILL cause burns. But acting quickly can limit the damage. The same is not true of getting concentrated base into your eye.

This information comes from an MD specializing in treating injuries to the eye. He said he would much rather deal with acid burns than with an eye exposed to strong base.

19. Apr 22, 2015 #18

Evo

Do you have any peer reviewed sources? We ask for the sources to stated facts as it helps to clarify and answer associated questions. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook