Which Acids/Bases React with Water to Produce Non-Neutral Solutions?

• Thread starter SA32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the substances that will react with water to produce non-neutral solutions are KCN, NaF, and NH4Br. These are the conjugate bases of weak acids and can set up an equilibrium in water. The rest of the substances, KBr and LiCl, are conjugate bases of strong acids and will not have a significant effect on the pH of the solution.
SA32

Homework Statement

Which of the substanced KCN, NaF, KBr, LiCl, and NH4Br will react with water to produce non-neutral solutions?
a.) KCN, LiCl and NH4Br
b.) KCN, NaF and NH4Br
c.) NaF, LiCl and NH4Br
d.) NaF, KBr and NH4Br
e.) KCN, KBr and LiCl

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I ruled out e because NH4+ is a weak acid and should produce a non-neutral solution in water. The rest all appear to be conjugate bases of acids, but I'm having trouble deciding which ones will result in a non-neutral pH.

So... I guess I've been given the conjugate bases of two weak acids (HCN and HF) and the conjugate bases of two strong acids (HBr and HCl) I'm thinking... since HBr and HCl are strong acids, the Cl- and Br- in LiCl and KBr added to water aren't going to do much. Whereas maybe the F- in NaF and CN- in KCN would set up an equilibrium in water? So I guess I'm thinking b, but I'm really not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your logic...

Forgot I posted this! Thanks for your response. :)

1. Which acids and bases react with water to produce non-neutral solutions?

Acids and bases that are strong electrolytes, such as hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide, will react with water to produce non-neutral solutions.

2. How do I know if a solution is acidic or basic?

A solution is considered acidic if it has a pH below 7 and basic if it has a pH above 7. A solution with a pH of 7 is considered neutral.

3. Can any acid or base react with water to produce a non-neutral solution?

No, only strong electrolytes will react with water to produce non-neutral solutions. Weak acids and bases may react with water but will not significantly change the pH.

4. What is the difference between a strong and weak acid/base?

A strong acid or base is one that completely dissociates in water, meaning it breaks apart into ions. A weak acid or base only partially dissociates in water.

5. Can acids and bases react with each other to produce non-neutral solutions?

Yes, when an acid and a base are mixed together, they will neutralize each other and produce a salt and water. However, the resulting solution may still be acidic or basic depending on the strength of the acid and base used.