What Challenges Arise in Calculating pH Changes in Buffer Solutions?

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibria
In summary, the pH of a buffer solution containing 0.10 NH3 and 0.10 NH4+ can be calculated using the given concentrations and Kb. The addition of 12mL of 0.20 M hydrochloric acid to 125 mL of the buffer may affect the concentrations of NH3 and NH4+, but further calculations are needed to determine the exact pH. In regards to the presence of rantidinium chloride in Zantac, the solution is likely to be acidic due to the presence of chloride ions, but the effect of rantidinium must also be considered. For the ions NO3-, OCl-, and Br-, hydrolysis does not occur because they are conjugate acids/bases of
dekoi
1.) What is the pH of a buffer solution that is 0.10 NH3 and 0.10 NH4+? What is the pH if 12mL of 0.20 M hydrochloric acid is added to 125 mL of buffer?

For the first part, i figured that NH3 is the base and NH4+ is the conjugate acid. Therefore, the equil. reaction is NH3 + water --> NH4+ OH-. Using the given concentrations, i found Kb, pOH, and then Ph.

For the second part, I'm unsure. I figured out the moles of NH3 and NH4+ by multiplying each molarity by 0.125 L. Then i did the same for H3O+ ion (formed by HCl) using 12mL as the volume. However, the problem appears as I'm unsure whether the addition of HCl will depleat the amount of NH4+ or NH3. Should i subtract the moles of the hydronium ion from the moles of NH3 and add it to NH4+? Or the other way around?2.) A chloride salt (rantidinium chloride) is presnet in Zantac. Should a solution of rantidinium chloride be acidic, basic, or neutral?

This is my logic: Since chloride ion forms an acidic solution with Hyrdogen (that is, its a conjugate base of a strong acid), then the solution should be acidic. But i need to consider rantidinium as well, and see whether that is an anion of a strong base, in which case the solution would be neutral. But how do i do that?

3.) I have to determine whether hydrolysis would occur with the following:

a.) NO3-
b.) OCl-
c.) NH2NH3+
d.) Br-

a.) Since NO3- is a conjugate base of a strong acid, no hydrolysis would occur.
b.) Since OCl- is a conjugate base of a weak acid (HClO), hydrolysis does happen.
c.) I have no idea!
d.) Since HBr is a strong acid, no hydrolysis happens.

My questions are: i.) Why does hydrolysis not happen when an ion is a conjugate acid/base of a strong acid/base? and ii.) Part C.Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
?
-------------------

Why do you think you will get here different answer from the one you got at chemicalforums?

There is one chemistry only ;)

1. What is an acid-base equilibrium?

An acid-base equilibrium is a dynamic balance between the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. This balance is maintained by the transfer of protons between acid and base molecules.

2. How do you calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) using the formula pOH = -log[OH-] and then converting to pH using the formula pH = 14 - pOH.

3. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid completely dissociates in water, meaning that all of its molecules release protons into the solution. On the other hand, a weak acid only partially dissociates, meaning that only a fraction of its molecules release protons into the solution.

4. How does temperature affect acid-base equilibria?

Temperature can affect the equilibrium of an acid-base reaction by changing the rate of the reaction. Increasing the temperature can increase the rate of both the forward and reverse reactions, while decreasing the temperature can slow down the rate. This can result in a shift in the equilibrium towards the side with the lower activation energy.

5. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that can resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. This is achieved by having a combination of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid, which can neutralize any added acid or base without significantly changing the pH of the solution.