1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ACID-BASE Equilibria

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    1.) What is the pH of a buffer solution that is 0.10 NH3 and 0.10 NH4+? What is the pH if 12mL of 0.20 M hydrochloric acid is added to 125 mL of buffer?

For the first part, i figured that NH3 is the base and NH4+ is the conjugate acid. Therefore, the equil. reaction is NH3 + water --> NH4+ OH-. Using the given concentrations, i found Kb, pOH, and then Ph.

For the second part, i'm unsure. I figured out the moles of NH3 and NH4+ by multiplying each molarity by 0.125 L. Then i did the same for H3O+ ion (formed by HCl) using 12mL as the volume. However, the problem appears as I'm unsure whether the addition of HCl will depleat the amount of NH4+ or NH3. Should i subtract the moles of the hydronium ion from the moles of NH3 and add it to NH4+? Or the other way around?

2.) A chloride salt (rantidinium chloride) is presnet in Zantac. Should a solution of rantidinium chloride be acidic, basic, or neutral?

This is my logic: Since chloride ion forms an acidic solution with Hyrdogen (that is, its a conjugate base of a strong acid), then the solution should be acidic. But i need to consider rantidinium as well, and see whether that is an anion of a strong base, in which case the solution would be neutral. But how do i do that?

3.) I have to determine whether hydrolysis would occur with the following:

a.) NO3-
    b.) OCl-
    c.) NH2NH3+
    d.) Br-

a.) Since NO3- is a conjugate base of a strong acid, no hydrolysis would occur.
    b.) Since OCl- is a conjugate base of a weak acid (HClO), hydrolysis does happen.
    c.) I have no idea!
    d.) Since HBr is a strong acid, no hydrolysis happens.

My questions are: i.) Why does hydrolysis not happen when an ion is a conjugate acid/base of a strong acid/base? and ii.) Part C.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
  4. Oct 24, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think you will get here different answer from the one you got at chemicalforums?

There is one chemistry only ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?