1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acid Base reaction, pH and POH

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    NH3(aq) is a weak base with Kb = 1.8*10-5, Calculate [OH-] in a solution that is made by mixing togeather 500ml of 0.20M NH3(aq) and 500ml of 0.20M NH4CL(aq), what is the value of Ph?

2. Relevant equations
    Henderson Hasselbalch: ph = Pka + log([conj.base/acid])
    As well as another approach on the example, the regular one.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To start with I am always a bit confused on how to set up the example and giving me the right inital values, for example I have NH4Cl---->NH3 + Cl + H. Now can I use my initial values, as NH3 in terms of moles
    moles NH4Cl: 0.5L*0.2M = 0.1 moles
    moles NH3: 0.5*0.2M = 0.1moles

using the " normal method" I get PH = 5.13 and by using the Hendersone Hasselbalch I get PH = 9.25.

I will send an attachment of my calculation because I write everything on an Ipad, so you can see clearly what I am doing.
    Please correct me and tell me what is wrong and which method is wrong in my case.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Solve full quadratic for the ICE table method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted