1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acid-Base Reaction question

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    Consider the Acid-Base reaction of acetic acid (C2H4O2) with ethylene diamine (C2H8N2) to form the corresponding salt. Then the structural formulas for acetic acid and ethylene diamine were drawn below this.
    Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction, noting both amine groups can accept a proton.

I know that acid + base = water + salt

I'm not sure if what I've come up with is right or not... I don't remember the teacher ever going over anything like this...

C2H4O2 + C2H8N2 --> 2H2O + C4H8N2

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No water in products, amine groups get protonated.

4. Oct 17, 2005 #3
    Would the product be C2H3O2- + C2H9N2+.. and would this ionize and form a salt?

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Diamine can get protonated twice.

Basically you will have a salt C2H10N2(2+)(2C2H3O2(-))2.

However, that's not whole truth - acetic acid is a weak acid, ethylene diamine is a weak base, so if you will need precise information about the solution, you will have to take all acid/base equilibria into accounts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?