1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acid base reactions

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Student mix four reagents together, thinking the solutions will neutralize each other. The solutions mixed together are 50.0mL of .1 M HCl, 100mL of .2 M of HNO3, 500mL of .01 M CaOH, 200mL of .1 M RbOH. Did the acids and bases exactly neutralize each other? If not, calculate the concentration of excess H or OH ions left in solution.

2. Relevant equations
    M = mole/liter

3. The attempt at a solution
    I looked at the solution and I understand it but I'm having trouble getting a net ionic equation.
    Here is my attempt
    HCl+HNO3+CaOH+RbOH>2H2O+Ca(NO3)2+RbCl
    HCl+2HNO3+CaOH+RbOH>2H2O+Ca(NO3)2+RbCl
    2HCl+2HNO3+CaOH+RbOH>2H2O+Ca(NO3)2+2RbCl
    I can't figure out how to balance the equation to get to a net ionic equation.
    Any suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"CaOH" is a big mistake. You have after all written Ca(NO2)2.

One way, after you have corrected that, if you know how these things dissociate into ions, calculate how many moles of H+ are produced by that from the acids, then how many moles of OH- the bases, and decide whether these are equal, or whether one is more than the other,

4. Mar 4, 2016 #3
    Thank you :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted