1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acid-base rxns

1. Feb 22, 2005 #1
    i would like to see if my reasoning is correct (for aq. solutions):

[tex]2HBr_(aq_) + 2NH_3_(aq_) -> 2NH_4_(aq_) + Br_2_(aq_) [/tex]
    HBR is an acid so it gives H to NH3, which leaves Br all alone. But Br can't exist by itself, so it becoems Br2?
    ionic:
    [tex]2H^+_(aq_) + 2Br^-_(aq_) + 2NH^-_3_(aq_) -> 2NH^+_4_(aq_) + 2Br^-_(aq_) [/tex]
    net ionic:
    [tex]2H^+_(aq_) + 2NH^-_3_(aq_) -> 2NH^+_4_(aq_) [/tex]

Also, I have a question about water and its presence or lackthereof in net ionic equations (for aq. solutions).

I have
    [tex]2HClO_4_(aq_) + Mg(OH)_2_(s_) -> Mg(ClO_4)_2 (s) + 2H_2O[/tex]
    ionic:
    (matter states are same as above)[tex]2H^+ + 2CLO^-_4 + Mg^+^2 + 2OH^- -> Mg(ClO_4)_2 + 2H^+ + 2OH^- [/tex]

but that last part is really [tex]2H_2O[/tex]. But if i write it like that, then in my net equation i gotta keep [tex]H_2O[/tex] and the H and OH ... making my net equation the same as my ionic equation. That seems wrong to me. Is there a covention where I can write [tex]2H_2O[/tex] and still leave out OH and H as spectator ions in my net ionic equation? Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First check if [itex]Mg(ClO_4)_2[/itex] is a solid, otherwise it would remain hydrated and would not appear in the net ionic equation. And I believe that water will actually be in the net ionic equation, that is [itex]H^+_{(aq)} + OH^-_{(aq)} \xrightarrow{\leftarrow} H_2O_{(l)}[/itex], there's a equilibrium associated with this equation although not on a large scale.

4. Feb 22, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that is most of the ionized hydrogen cation and hydroxide will be converted to water.

5. Feb 22, 2005 #4
    ERROR - yeah that mg clo4 is solid, it has (s) in subscript beside it.
    EDIT - whoops. That was my assumption. If HCLO is breaking it down, then it'd have to be a liquid, as this kind of reaction goes to completion.

That makes the net equation for (2)
    [tex]2H^+ + 2CLO^-_4 + Mg^+^2 + 2OH^- -> Mg(ClO_4)_2_(aq_) + 2H_2O[/tex]

I take it the reasoning in my first equation involving HBr and NH3 is correct?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  6. Feb 22, 2005 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, think about it.......how is bromine gas even formed? You've got two anions, the two cannot combine unless one of them is a cation. So bromine anion is the final product, usually the ammonium cation interacts ionically with bromine anion to a degree to form a salt adduct (l). However, I don't believe that you need to get this technical here. Thus your net ionic equation seems correct.

7. Feb 22, 2005 #6
    thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?