1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acid/Base Titration

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Supposed to rank a bunch of titrations in order of pH; Here is one of the many...
    200.0 mL of 0.100 M (C2H5)2NH (Kb = 1.3 x 10-3) by 0.100 M HCl

2. Relevant equations
    Henderson–Hasselbalch equation?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to start, I'm trying to help a friend (obv. doing a great job).
    If someone could help do this one I think I'll remember how to do these questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    I mean the pH at the equivalence point of the titration

4. May 10, 2010 #3
    What it sounds like you are looking for are the various pH ranges that every buffer has. The equivalence point is when the moles of acid = moles of base (not necessarily pH=7); so various inorganic and organic buffers will have equivalence points in certain ranges that are suitable to various applications, i.e. reactions. You can use the H.H. equation and known pKa value to calculate pH for various buffers

5. May 11, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is no buffer at the equivalence point.

Well... technically you can argue that it exists. But Henderson-Hasselbalch equation will fail miserably.

6. May 11, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

7. Jun 10, 2010 #6
    Sorry for the last reply, your replies were too late to help my friend. But I still want to know for my own benefit, so thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook