What is the product of an acid-carbonate reaction?

• Thread starter Jp_Garant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is about finding out the product of an acid-carbonate reaction, specifically the salt. The example given is that of acetic acid and potassium carbonate reacting to produce carbon dioxide, water, and potassium acetate. The question is how to determine the specific salt produced in this reaction, and it is explained that for organic acids, it is helpful to write them out in their structural form. The resulting salt in this case is potassium acetate, formed from the reaction between the potassium ion and the acetate ion from the dissociation of acetic acid.
Jp_Garant
Hi Guys. This is more chemistry than physics but maybe you can help.
I am having a hard time find out what (salt) will appear as a product, in an acid-carbonate reaction.

Example from my textbook: HC2 H3 O2 + K2 CO3 --> CO2 + H20 + (salt)

We know that it will always give Carbon Dioxide and Water, and a salt.

How do i find out what the salt is?? The full balanced answer for the salt is 2 KC2 H2 O2 but i don't know how to obtain that!

I know for acids-base, we must take the cation of the base and the anion of the acid.. but in this case? Let me know, thanks :)

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
For organic acids, it is helpful to write them out to emphasize their structure. For example, acetic acid (HC2 H3 O2 in your notation) is more clearly written as CH3COOH, which dissociates into acetate ions and a proton: CH3COO- + H+.

The salt remaining after the reaction is potassium acetate (K+ CH3COO-).

What is an acid-carbonate reaction?

An acid-carbonate reaction is a chemical reaction between an acid and a carbonate compound. The acid will donate a proton to the carbonate, resulting in the formation of a salt, water, and carbon dioxide gas.

What are some examples of acid-carbonate reactions?

One common example is the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium carbonate, which produces sodium chloride (salt), water, and carbon dioxide gas. Another example is the reaction between sulfuric acid and calcium carbonate, which produces calcium sulfate (gypsum), water, and carbon dioxide gas.

What are the products of an acid-carbonate reaction?

The products of an acid-carbonate reaction depend on the specific acid and carbonate compounds involved. However, in general, the products will include a salt, water, and carbon dioxide gas.

Why is an acid-carbonate reaction important?

Acid-carbonate reactions are important in many industrial processes, such as the production of fertilizers, as well as in everyday life. They also play a role in the natural carbon cycle, helping to regulate the pH of oceans and soils.

How can you identify an acid-carbonate reaction?

You can identify an acid-carbonate reaction by observing the formation of bubbles (carbon dioxide gas) and the presence of salt and water as products. Additionally, you can perform a litmus test to confirm the presence of an acid.