Explain Auxin Role in Cell Elongation & Acid Growth Hypothesis

In summary, auxin is a plant growth hormone that plays a crucial role in cell elongation through the acid growth hypothesis. This hypothesis states that auxin activates a proton pump, increasing the acidity of the cell wall and activating the enzyme expansin, which breaks bonds within the cellulose fibers. This allows the cell wall to become more elastic and expand, causing the cell to elongate. Auxin also plays a role in phototropism, where it is released on the dark side of a plant, causing the cells to elongate and bend towards the light. There are five main groups of plant hormones: gibberellins, auxins, cytokinins, abscisic acid, and ethylene.
siewwen168
Can anyone here explain to me the role of auxin in cell's elongation? :confused:

I think it's related to the acid growth hypothesis,but i need the explanation on how this hypothesis works. :rolleyes:

thanks a lot for anyone who help :smile: o:)

Biology news on Phys.org
I only know that auxin has a role. :frown: I'm just giving this one a bump to the top in the hopes that we do have someone lurking around here who has sufficient plant biology knowledge to answer your question.

I have dabbled a bit with plant physiology, perhaps I can provide a simple explanation:
Auxin's are plant growth hormones (one of the most familiar is IAA indole-acetic acid).
Living plant cells are under a high turgor pressure from electrolytes present in their cytoplasm. The auxin IAA, increases the elasticity of the cell walls and because they are under high turgor pressure, they elongate.

One explanation is the so called Acid-Growth Hypothesis.
Here is how it works. IAA activates a proton (H+) pump in the cell membrane, causing H+ to move into the cell wall, increasing its acidity. (An increase in hydrogen ion concentration decreases the pH and therefore increases acidity). This low pH activates the enzyme expansin (appropriate name :biggrin: ), which breaks bonds within the cellulose fibers. With these bonds broken, the cell wall becomes more elastic and expands under the turgor pressure.

You may have noticed, when you put a plant near a window, after some time, the leaves point in direction of the bright light. If you then turn the plant around 180 deg, after some time, the leaves bend upright and continue to bend once again towards the bright light. This is a the phototropic effect. One explanation of this, is that auxin is being released in the cells on the dark side of the plant and by the "acid growth hypothesis", those cells elongate causing the leaves to bend towards the light.

For a more scientific description, see ref especially sections 3,4 & 5

Last edited:
Thanks Ouabache! Now I'll have to tuck that explanation away in my mind somewhere safe in case I ever have to teach general biology again. One more question I'll be able to answer about plants if it gets asked. :biggrin:

Plants are somewhat easier to understand in terms of physiology compared to their animal cousins. With hormones, there are presently only 5 groupings: gibberelllins, auxins, cytokinins, abscisic acid and ethylene.

If feeling studious, here is a little quiz to test our understanding of plant hormones. quiz :uhh:

Last edited:

What is auxin and what is its role in cell elongation?

Auxin is a plant hormone that plays a crucial role in regulating plant growth and development. One of its main functions is to stimulate cell elongation by promoting the production of proteins and enzymes that loosen the cell wall, allowing it to expand.

What is the acid growth hypothesis?

The acid growth hypothesis is a theory that explains how auxin promotes cell elongation. It suggests that auxin activates proton pumps in the cell membrane, which pump hydrogen ions (protons) into the cell wall. This acidifies the cell wall, causing it to become more flexible and allowing for cell elongation.

How does auxin affect the direction of cell elongation?

Auxin can also alter the direction of cell elongation by accumulating on the side of the cell that is receiving less light. This causes the proton pumps to be activated more on that side, leading to an increase in acidification and subsequent cell expansion. This mechanism is known as phototropism.

Does auxin play a role in other plant growth processes?

Yes, auxin is involved in many other plant growth processes, such as root development, stem growth, and fruit development. It also plays a role in tropisms, which are growth responses to external stimuli, such as gravity and touch.

What are some practical applications of understanding auxin and the acid growth hypothesis?

Understanding the role of auxin in cell elongation and the acid growth hypothesis can have practical applications in agriculture and horticulture. By manipulating auxin levels, we can control plant growth and development, leading to increased crop yields, better plant architecture, and improved resistance to environmental stressors.