How Much Acid Rain Can Limestone Neutralize?

In summary: This will give you the molar concentration of H2SO4 in the acid rain. So in summary, the acid rain contains 9.12e-8 mol/L of H2SO4 which would be neutralized by 1.00 g of limestone.
Punchlinegirl

Homework Statement

Estimate the volume of acid rain in L that can be neutralized by 1.00 g of limestone. Assume the pH of rainwater collected in your rain gauge is a representative value for acid rain. Assume that acid rain contains sulfuric acid as the source of hydrogen ions. The molecular weight of calcium carbonate is 100.09 g/mol.
This is a question from my meteorology lab and I haven't had chemistry in 4 years, so I'm a bit rusty. Any help would be gladly appreciated!

Homework Equations

The net reaction between the two is
H2SO4 + CaCO3 --> CaSO4H20 +CO2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we had 1.00 g CaCO3 and the molecular weight is 100.09. So I think I divide and plug this into the moles of CaCO3. Then our pH for the rainwater which would be 7.04, but I'm not really sure what to do with it since its not in mols?
I'm pretty lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the definition of pH?

It's -log(molar concentration of H+ ions). You can use this to find the mols/L of H+ ions in the rain water.

Ok so if I did this right, we have 9.12e-8 mol/L of H+ ions. Then we had 100.09 mols of CaCO3. I also know that the pH of the solution after neutralization is 4.36, but I don't really understand how to plug these into the equation since all of the units are different.

The pH of acid rain should be lower than 7 and that of the neutralized solution should be close to 7 please have this aspect clarified.

Once you know the pH of the acid rain solution find the [H3O+] by using the pH equation. Also it must be assumed that the pH is mainly due to the first acidic proton of Sulfuric Acid = H2SO4 if this is the case then the [H3O+]=[H2SO4]. Otherwise we need to employ some equilibrium theory.

Convert the amount of CaCO3 into moles then use the stoichiometry of the net equation between CaCO3 and H2SO4 to find the amount of H2SO4 in moles. Remember that [H2SO4]=[moles of H2SO4/L of solution]. Use this mole value that you've found and divide it by the value of [H2SO4] you've found.

What is acid rain?

Acid rain is a form of precipitation that contains high levels of sulfuric acid and nitric acid, which are formed from pollutants such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides released into the atmosphere by human activities.

How does acid rain affect the environment?

Acid rain can have damaging effects on the environment, including harming plant and animal life, damaging buildings and monuments, and contaminating water sources. It can also contribute to the acidification of soils and lakes, leading to the death of aquatic life.

What is a titration and how is it used to measure acid rain?

In a titration, a known concentration of a solution (the titrant) is added to a solution of unknown concentration (the analyte) until the two solutions reach a neutral pH. The volume of titrant used is then used to calculate the concentration of the analyte. In the case of acid rain, a sample of rainwater is collected and titrated with a base solution until a neutral pH is reached, allowing for the calculation of the acidity of the rainwater.

What are the main sources of acid rain?

The main sources of acid rain are human activities, including the burning of fossil fuels in power plants, transportation, and industrial processes. These activities release sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere, which then react with water, oxygen, and other chemicals to form acid rain.

What can be done to reduce the effects of acid rain?

To reduce the effects of acid rain, it is important to decrease the emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides by using cleaner energy sources and implementing pollution control technologies. Additionally, reforestation and the use of lime or other neutralizing agents in affected areas can help to neutralize the acidity of the soil and water sources.