Acid theory - which ion does the donating?

In summary, the conversation discusses how with an ionic acid in solution, either the positive or negative ion can act as the proton donor. The question also asks if there are any ways to determine which ion will donate the proton based on the chemical structure of the acid. The response clarifies that the anion part of the strong acid could be considered the donor, but there are no acids that will donate a proton and be left with a positive charge.
zeta101
I understand that with an ionic acid (when in solution), either the +ve ion OR the -ve ion can be the proton donor. Are there any ways to tell which ion does the donating by just looking at the chemical structure of the acid? I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of an accepted theory that I can search for on the net.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
your question doesn't make sense entirely

if you mean by "ionic acid" to say "strong acid"
as in one that 'completely' dissociates in water, then once it's in solution there will be protons hanging around water (H30+) and anions hanging around water

when a base comes along, it will just accept the proton
if you want to say that the original anion part of the "strong acid" was the donator then, I guess you could say that

there will be no acid that donates a proton and be left with a positive charge, it will either be negative or neutral
(if there is, that would be a weird exception that i am not aware of)

for your question! The ion that donates a proton in an acid is typically the hydrogen ion (H+). However, as you mentioned, in certain ionic acids, either the positively charged ion or the negatively charged ion can act as the proton donor. This is because in these cases, the bond between the hydrogen ion and the other ion is not completely ionic, but rather partially covalent. This means that the hydrogen ion can easily dissociate and donate a proton to the other ion.

To determine which ion is the proton donor in a specific acid, you can look at the electronegativity difference between the hydrogen ion and the other ion. The more electronegative ion will be the proton acceptor, while the less electronegative ion will be the proton donor.

As for a specific theory that explains this phenomenon, you can search for "Bronsted-Lowry acid-base theory." This theory states that an acid is a proton donor, while a base is a proton acceptor. It is a widely accepted theory in chemistry and can be found in many textbooks and online resources.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction!

1. What is the basic principle of acid theory?

The basic principle of acid theory is that acids are substances that can donate hydrogen ions (H+) to other substances, while bases are substances that can accept hydrogen ions.

2. Which ion does the donating in acid theory?

In acid theory, the donating ion is the hydrogen ion (H+). This is because hydrogen ions are positively charged and can easily be transferred to other substances, making them acids.

3. How does the donating ion affect the pH of a solution?

The donating ion, which is the hydrogen ion, affects the pH of a solution by increasing the concentration of hydrogen ions. This results in a decrease in pH, making the solution more acidic.

4. Can other ions besides hydrogen ions donate in acid theory?

No, only hydrogen ions can donate in acid theory. This is because only hydrogen ions have the ability to transfer positive charges and make a substance acidic.

5. How does acid theory explain the properties of acids and bases?

Acid theory explains the properties of acids and bases by describing how they behave in a solution. Acids are known to have a sour taste, react with metals, and turn litmus paper red. Bases, on the other hand, have a bitter taste, feel slippery, and turn litmus paper blue. These properties are a result of the donating and accepting of hydrogen ions between the substances.