Order of acidity for oxoacids of P: H3PO4 > H3PO3 > H3PO2

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, the order of acidity for H3PO3, H3PO2, and H3PO4 is H3PO4 > H3PO3 > H3PO2. This is because H3PO4 has the highest basicity and can release the most H+ ions, while H3PO2 has the lowest basicity due to only having one oxygen bonded to phosphorus. However, it is important to note that this order may vary depending on the specific situation and should always be checked with Ka values.
zorro

Homework Statement

What is the order of acidity of H3PO3, H3PO2 and H3PO4?

The Attempt at a Solution

H3PO4 must be most acidic because its basicity is highest. Greater the no. of repleacable H+, greater will be its acidity. On similar reasoning, H3PO2 is least acidic.

Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a rule about acid strength and amount of oxygen in the molecule.

I guess you are talking about the withdrawing effect of Oxygens.
There is only one Oxygen doubly bonded to Phosphorus which withdraws electron density of the O-H group facilitating the release of H+. Since there is only one such O in every molecule given, I don't think we can compare based on that rule. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Good point, my mistake.

Safest approach it to check tables for Ka values.

I googled their Ka values and to my surprise, found that the acidity order is opposite to that I mentioned in O.P.

Unfortunately these values are not given in my exam and I need an answer theoretically ( I am not so good at by-hearting things :biggrin:)

What is the acidity of oxoacids of P?

The acidity of oxoacids of P refers to the ability of these compounds to donate a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction. It is measured by the dissociation constant (Ka), which is a measure of how easily the compound donates a proton.

What factors affect the acidity of oxoacids of P?

The acidity of oxoacids of P is affected by the number of oxygen atoms attached to the phosphorus atom, as well as the electronegativity of these oxygen atoms. The more electronegative the oxygen atoms, the more acidic the oxoacid will be. Additionally, the strength of the bond between the phosphorus atom and the oxygen atoms also plays a role in determining acidity.

How does the acidity of oxoacids of P compare to other acids?

Oxoacids of P tend to be more acidic than other acids with similar chemical structures, such as carboxylic acids. This is due to the electronegativity of the oxygen atoms attached to the phosphorus atom, which makes it easier for the oxoacid to donate a proton.

What is the relationship between acidity and pH?

Acidity and pH are inversely related. The more acidic a substance is, the lower its pH will be. This is because pH is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, and acidic substances have a higher concentration of H+ ions.

How does the acidity of oxoacids of P impact their chemical properties?

The acidity of oxoacids of P can greatly impact their chemical properties. Highly acidic oxoacids can react strongly with other substances and can be corrosive. Additionally, the level of acidity can also affect the stability and reactivity of the compound in different environments.