1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acids and bases question

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what is the H, Oh , ph and poh for a 0.048 mol/l solution of benzoic acid? C6H5COOH

2. Relevant equations
    Ph +poh=14
    Ph=-log(h30+)
    H30=10^-ph

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought maybe u need to separate benzoic acid into its ions and then use the molar ratio to find the concentration of H? but what does that break down into?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

C6H5COOH <-> C6H5COO- + H+

Note: it is a weak acid, so you need to use its dissociation constant to calculate pH.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    Ok we did not learn that yet but I will look it up in my chemistry book. Thanks

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Better still, if you haven't done it already, try and work it out without looking it up in your chemistry book. You know something about equilibrium equations and mass conservation. If you succeed you will gain confidence and understanding, if you don't succeed the explanation will mean more and be better learned when you do look it up and see maybe what key point you'd missed. If you've looked it up already, apply this principle in future problems in chemistry or any other science as far as possible. It will even make things easier for you in the long run.

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted