1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acids and Bases

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The pKa of acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) is 3.5. The pH of gastric juice in the stomach is about 2-3 and the pH in the small intestine is about 8. Aspirin will be
    Answer is ionised in the small intestine and almost unionised in the stomach.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand from the pH values given that the stomach is acidic and small intestine basic. So, I could already qualitatively figure out what the answer would be. However, is it quantitatively correct to say that aspirin is unionised in the stomach because the pH of stomach is less than the pKa of aspirin? What if the pKa of aspirin was 1.5? Would it then be ionised in the stomach?
    Basically, I just want someone to clarify what pKa tells us in this context.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2
    I was just looking for a relationship between pH and pKa. Found it!

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Wouldn't hurt if you will show what you have found. This is by no means a trivial relationship (actually there is NO relationship between just pKa and pH).

5. Jan 13, 2016 #4
    The Henderson Hasselbalch equation. I know it's for buffers, but pH is directly proportional to pKa and I was looking for some quantitative relationship. If you could expand more though, I'd more than appreciate it.

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5
    Also, maybe answer this question? I think it wouldn't based off pH directly proportional to pKa, but it's not a linear proportion so I'm not very sure.

7. Jan 13, 2016 #6

Borek

That's a serious misrepresentation of the HH equation.

However, HH equation is a good start here. It contains [itex]\log \frac {[A^-]}{[HA]}[/itex] expression which is what is important. Rearrange the equation in such a way this ratio is expressed as a function of both pH and pKa. When this ratio is small, acid is mostly unionized. When this ratio is high, acid is mostly ionized. This is quantitative.

Actually you were quite close to the correct answer in your first post:

When pH = pKa exactly half of the acid is ionized (and the other half unionized). When pH < pKa, there is more unionized form.

8. Jan 13, 2016 #7
    Ohhhh, that's really cool!
    [A-]/[HA] = 10pH-pKa
    So it's the difference that counts.

9. Jan 13, 2016 #8
    On second thought, shouldn't the HH equation be viable only for a buffer? Gastric acid in the stomach is HCl which is a strong acid and aspirin (a weak acid) couldn't possibly form a buffer with HCl (or for that matter, the weak base of the small intestine). So, isn't using HH incorrect for this situation?

10. Jan 13, 2016 #9

Borek

HH equation is derived just by rearranging dissociation constant definition (reaction quotient), so it holds for any acid. It just happens to be a form that makes buffer calculations easy.

11. Jan 14, 2016 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted