Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustic boundary conditions

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    I am studying acoustic wave reflection. The boundary conditions of acoustics are continuity of pressure and normal particle velocity. Can anyone tell me if these boundary conditions are completely independent? (Since the pressure and particle velocity are in phase, I would believe they are not independent.) By the way, how could pressure be in phase with particle velocity, and not with particle displacement? I belive that Snell's law of refraction follows from the continuity of pressure over the boundary and the wavenumbers in the two media, which are determined by the respective sound speeds. Does the boundary condition for particle velocity also relates to Snell's law? I also want to derive the reflection- and transmission coefficient for oblique incidence for general waveforms (not necessarily harmonic waves), and wonder whether it is possible. I have not found such a derivation in any textbook. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted