1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustic Diaphragm Design

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    Greetings,

I've been looking for a way to create a microphone capable of picking up high frequencies (up to about 100kHz). Electrets dont tend to go that high and piezo crystals even detuned will only give a limited band.

I had the idea of bouncing a laser off a sheet of reflective material. The light can either be picked up directly, by pulsing the beam with a square wave and taking the phase shift as a form of pulse width modulation, or with a sine wave and using the doppler shift (I'll have fun experimenting with all these methods).

What I dont have any clue about is the material and what properties it should have. What kind of thickness, surface area, tension etc. would I need? Would there be a resonant frequency? Is it even possible for the frequency range in question?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Raven Luni, Welcome to Physics Forums! 

You may see this patent, which detects acoustic frequencies up to 100 kHz:
    http://www.google.com/patents/US5146083

Here is a ready-made acoustic sensor you may learn from:
    http://www.digikey.com/us/en/techzone/sensors/resources/articles/ultrasonic-mems-sensor-spm0404ud5.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 20, 2012 #3
    Excellent information - thanks :)

5. Jun 22, 2012 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook