1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustic radiation force

1. Jan 13, 2015 #1
    Dear All,

Can someone give me an intuitive idea of the acoustic radiation force.

I have read from a paper that the acoustic radiation force generated by a standing acoustic wave is larger when the size of particle is smaller than the acoustic wavelength as compared to the case when size > wavelength. I did search in the internet, where there are complex equations to prove it. But could someone give me a physical understanding of this behavior?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Radel.......

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2
    I think the force is the same solely due to the energy of the wave, its effect on a smaller particle, and therefore the feedback as in medical means for imaging it's the collective resistance to the waves force that clusters larger than the wavelength rebound the waves, smaller obstacles would weakly compare to the larger force of a larger wave.

I think I have that right but wikipedia says it's fairly new technology:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastography

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook