1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustic radiation pressure

1. Feb 18, 2004 #1
    I'm working on a project that involves 'acoustic radiation pressure'.. This means that an acoustic wave can exert a net force on some object, along it's propagation-direction.. if the object was a plate, it would look somewhat like this:

....................... |
    ----||--wave--> |->Force
    ....................... |
    ..................... plate

This force is quite small.
    I don't, however, understand the reason this force can exist.. it's presumably a change of momentum of the air-molecules or so..
    The net pressure (time averaged) exerted on the plate in the above situation would be I/c if the plate was absorbing and 2*I/c if the plate was reflecting.. (I = intensity, c= speed of sound). I found these formulas somewhere, without any explanation accompanyin them.
    Is there anyone that could give me a step in the right direction to explain this?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted