Looking for Automation System to Differentiate Distinct Sounds

In summary: The sound is not very predictable, so it may be difficult to measure accurately. However, it sounds like the frequency could be detected fairly easily.
lollerskate
I'm currently looking for a system which can automate a part of my process. Currently, there is an operator listening for sound, which is distinct enough for the human ear. Upon hearing this sound, he shuts down the system. I would imagine that if an ear can easily differentiate the sound, a sensor should be capable of doing so as well. However, I've only had the luck of ONE company coming out so far, and he was unsuccessful at getting his sensor to do so (it was a system originally meant for sounds in a grinding process). Can someone please direct me to a company or a system which might serve my purpose? I have been using google, but my search terms must not be up to par to find what I need.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How predictable is the sound. Is it like a tone or a more complex sound? Would you say that the frequency of the sound remains fairly constant?

If its simple enough, it seems like you should be able to simply mic it up and run the data through some sort of real-time FFT. Observe for the frequency + magnitude within some tolerance.

Along what Minger said about the microphone set up, you may want to look at machine predictive maintenance systems. While they are meant for measuring machine vibrations, they include FFT sampling and monitoring based on your limits and will alert you if certian limits are met. They shouldn't care what the real input is. If the sound is a pure tone it is even easier.

One other thought would be to look into computer-based voice recognition systems. They can often be "taught" to recognize words or phrases, so maybe you can teach it to recognize the sound.

The sound is metal on metal contact. It is repetitive since it is made by metal bouncing on a metal shaker table. The sound is not very predictable since the size of the metal coming through can vary. It is only liberated metal we wish to detect, which makes the task harder. The table normally has chunks of rubber going through it, with beads of metal implanted in the rubber. While this metal can hit the table, it doesn't make the same sound as items such as bolts, or chunks of hardened steel.

Problems being observed:
The material originally drops onto the table from a height of ~1.5', causing interference
Since the material sometimes has metal that is only mostly embedded within it (which is fine), there is also interference when from it hitting.

There was a system that was applied to our process, but it didn't look promising. However, with the sound being detectable by ear, there should be a system available.

Thanks for the comments so far. I will look into real-time FFT systems.

1. What is an automation system for differentiating distinct sounds?

An automation system for differentiating distinct sounds is a type of technology that uses computer algorithms and software to analyze and classify different sounds based on their unique characteristics. This system is often used in fields such as speech recognition, music production, and sound engineering to accurately identify and distinguish between different sounds.

2. How does an automation system for differentiating distinct sounds work?

An automation system for differentiating distinct sounds works by using specialized algorithms to analyze the frequency, amplitude, and other characteristics of a sound. The system then compares these characteristics to a database of known sounds and uses machine learning techniques to accurately classify the sound into a specific category. This process is repeated for each sound that the system is trained to recognize.

3. What are the benefits of using an automation system for differentiating distinct sounds?

One of the main benefits of using an automation system for differentiating distinct sounds is its ability to accurately and quickly classify sounds, which can save time and effort compared to manual analysis. Additionally, these systems can handle large amounts of data and can be trained to recognize a wide range of sounds, making them useful in various industries such as security, healthcare, and entertainment.

4. Can an automation system for differentiating distinct sounds be customized for specific needs?

Yes, an automation system for differentiating distinct sounds can be customized to meet specific needs. This can include training the system to recognize specific sounds, adjusting the sensitivity and accuracy of the system, and integrating it with other technologies or systems. This level of customization allows for more efficient and accurate sound analysis in specialized applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using an automation system for differentiating distinct sounds?

While automation systems for differentiating distinct sounds can be highly accurate and efficient, there are some limitations to consider. These systems may struggle with recognizing new or uncommon sounds that they have not been trained to identify. Additionally, the accuracy of the system may be affected by background noise or other environmental factors. Regular maintenance and updates are also necessary to ensure the system continues to function effectively.