1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustics - directivity

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    Hi all!
    Can anyone explain me why the directivity of a loudspeaker varies with frequencies?
    It is observed that the speaker is omni-directional at low frequencies and becomes increasingly forward-directional towards higher frequencies.
    This is to due with the wavelength, but I have no clue on why it is so.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm

This website mention some more observations but it doesn't provide explanaton.

Can anyone help explain me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Google on loudspeaker directivity. There are good explanations on-line. Hint: the relation of the wavelength to the type and size of the enclosure is key.

4. Nov 26, 2006 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I remember studying monopoles and baffled pistons and calculating the pressure fields due to them in acoustics. Big fun. One thing that I remember is that the pressure distribution is dependent on a value known as "k*a" where k is the wave number and a is some characteristic dimension of the source. The wave number is a function of freqquency and is everywhere in acoustic theory. It's pretty cool to see how a piston's (monopole) pressure field changes with varying values of ka. Take a look here, most notably under section E:

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/GMI-Acoustics/Directivity-Frame.html

You'll get a feeling with how the directivity changes.

5. Nov 26, 2006 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice link Fred. The only thing that is lacking there is this expansion of the Bessel function for large x:

[tex]J_1(x)\sim \sqrt\frac{2}{\pi x}cos (x+\pi/4)[/tex]

where [tex]x=kasin\theta[/tex]

Therefore, since [tex]k\sim 1/\lambda[/tex]

-For [tex]a/\lambda<<1[/tex], that is for a baffle emitting with a long wave length compared with its size, the sound has no preferred direction to leading order.

-For [tex]a/\lambda>>1[/tex], the cos in the expansion of the Bessel function gets into the phase of the exponential:

[tex]P\sim F(r,x) e^{i(\omega t-kr+cos(a/\lambda sin \theta+\pi/4))} [/tex]

showing the unidirectional character of the phase. That is, for large baffles compared with the wave length emitted, the sound is propagated with a preferred direction that coincides with the axis as [tex]a/\lambda>>1[/tex]

I really think this makes sense physically speaking.

6. Nov 26, 2006 #5
    Thanks turbo, FredGarvin and Clausisus2.
    wavelength and size of the enclosure?
    With some search, I find the "ka" you guys mentioned.
    But they are always expressed in terms of mathematical formulae that I have not yet learned before. I know the consequences of those equations but not the origin and derivation of them.

Could you offer a more physical explanation in plain terms?
    Or how would you understand the phenomena without the equations?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  7. Nov 27, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Like I mentioned, the k is called the "wave number" and is defined as
    [tex]k = \frac{\omega}{c} = \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}[/tex] where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the frequency, [tex]c[/tex] is the speed of sound in the medium and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the wavelength.

In plain terms this is kind of tough. A lot of times in acoustics, things don't make sense until you go through the math. The only thing I can say is that if you look at the equation that describes the far field intensity of a piston (close to a speaker in mathematical models) you will see the following:

[tex]I (r,\theta) = \frac{\rho_o c k^2 U_{rms}^2 \pi^2 a^2}{4 \pi^2 r^2}\left[ \frac{2 J_1(k a sin(\theta)}{k a sin(\theta)} \right] ^2[/tex]

The second term in brackets is the directivity factor and you can see how k shows up in a lot of places. The a in this case is the piston's diameter. That directivity factor adjusts the pressure field intensity at different angles from the main axis of the piston.

Clear as mud, right?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?