1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustics grrrrr!

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    I hate acoustics, but unfortunately I have to get through this subject.
    Most of the time I don't even know where to start with the problems, and this is one of those times.
    I'm sure there's some easy formula for it, but I just can't seem to find it.

What is the normal incidence sound reduction index for sound travelling from air to water in dB? Assume that the speed of sound is 337m/s in air and 1470m/s in water. Assume that the density of air is 1.1kg/m^3 and that the density of water is 996 kg/m^3

Everything I try I get the wrong answer. Please can anyone give me a hint of how to start this question? It's got to be easy!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you calculate the transmission coefficient? Hint: Think acoustic impedance!

The sound reduction index (probably in your textbook) is SRI = -10 log T = 10 log 1/T

4. Sep 30, 2004 #3
    Got it, thanks.

So I use

[tex]R_n = 10log_{10}(\frac{1}{\tau})[/tex]

Where

[tex]\tau=\frac{4c_1\rho_1c_2\rho_2}{(c_1\rho_1+c_2\rho_2)^2}[/tex]

and I ended up with 29.9 dB

cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?