1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acousto Optical Modulators

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    Hi

I have a question on AOMs used in a double pass configuration. I understand the motivation for such a setup, but what I don't quite understand is the following: During the first pass, the frequency of the incoming beam is changed from ω to ω+Ω at an angle θB. Then we send the diffracted beam with frequency ω+Ω through the AOM once again at the same angle θB. This last part I don't quite undertand: How can the Bragg condition be satisfied for the angle θB at both ω and ω+Ω?

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2
    I think the idea is that in general Ω << ω, so the correct angle is essentially the same for the second pass as for the first.

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3
    Ah, I see. I thought it was most likely something like that, but I was worried that I had misunderstood something. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best regards,
    Niles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook