1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acrobat grabbing monkey

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circus acrobat of mass ##M## leaps straight up with initial velocity ##v_0## from a trampoline. As he rises up, he takes a trained monkey of mass ##m## off a perch at height ##h##, above the trampoline. What is the maximum height attained by the pair?

2. Relevant equations
    center of mass

3. The attempt at a solution

I put that ##y_1(t)## is the trajectory of the acrobat, ##y_2(t)## the trajectory of the monkey, and ##t_e## grabbing time. I look at the system acrobat-monkey before and after grabbing.

Before grabbing: Between ##0\le t\le t_e## :
    1. ##y_1(t) = tv_0 - \frac{gt^2}{2}##
    2. ##y_2(t) = h##
    so the vertical component of the center of mass is
    ## R_y^{(b)}(t) = \frac{1}{m+M} (my_2+My_1) = \frac{1}{m+M} (mh+Mt(v_0 - \frac{gt}{2}) )##

After grabbing: When ##t_e \le t##, the center of mass is under external force ##-(m+M)g\vec j##, and its motion is given by:
    ## R_y^{(a)}(t) = h + (t-t_e) v_1 - \frac{g}{2} (t-t_e)^2 ##

At maximum height, we will have ## \dot R_y^{(a)}(t_{\max}) = 0 ## so that ##t_{\max}- t_e = \frac{v_1}{g}##.
    The maximum height will be ## R_y^{(a)}(t_{\max}) = h + \frac{v_1^2}{2g}##

Now we must find ##v_1##.
    I assume continuity of the center of mass speed at time ##t_e## ( I'm not sure about that! ), and get that ## v_1 = \frac{M}{m+M}(v_0 - g t_e) ## where the parenthesized term is the speed of the acrobat at grabbing time.

To conclude I must get rid of ##t_e## which is not a constant of the problem. How should I do that please?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When grabbing, y1(te) = h too.

However, there might be a much simpler way to deal with this exercise...

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3
    Hi,
    So you solve the equation ## \frac{g}{2} t_e^2 -v_0 t_e + h = 0 ## ? You probably keep the first root since the pair will fall back to height ##h##, therefore ## t_e = \frac{v_0 - \sqrt{v_0^2 - 2 hg}}{g}##

and maximum height is

##(1 - {(\frac{M}{m+M})}^2) h + {(\frac{M}{m+M})}^2 \frac{v_0^2}{2g} ##

Correct?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. Dec 10, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get that too.

And my idea of a simpler way doesn't apply: the grabbing process is an inelastic collision, so there is no conservation for kinetic + potential energy.
    There is momentum conservation (your continuity of c.o.m. speed) that in fact demonstrates this non-conservation.
    Nice exercise!

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5
    Thanks BvU !
    I am a starter in mechanics so I have no knowledge of what is energy for now.
    I am interested by your explanation about continuity of c.o.m speed which I assumed but not quite well understood.
    You justified it by momentum conservation which I understand it prooves continuity. But why is momentum conserved around time ##t_e## ?

7. Dec 10, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. There is no external force doing work on the system man+monkey during the grabbing. With ## F = {dp\over dt} ## that means p is the same before and after (it's not constant, but there's no sudden change. But you have me in doubt now ... )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted