Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Across The Universe

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If this movie is playing in your city, GO SEE IT!

I'd say that other than Ratatouille, this is the best movie of the year that I've seen (and this includes the last Pirates movie). And this movie is not even a Disney movie! How's that?!

It is directed by Julie Taymor, who brilliantly created and directed the stage version of The Lion King (ah, so that's where the Disney connection comes in!). This movie is unlike any other, and I don't think I should describe it more than that. Suffice to say that you'll be quite familiar with the music that runs through the whole movie.

It is visually stunning, and thoroughly engaging. GO SEE IT!

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Perfect timing. I'm going to see it today. (And I did love Ratatouille.)

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    Ummm, Zapper, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Google Movies warned me that this movie is a "Musical/Romance" which, to me, means a "horror movie" :) But since you seem to know your movies I'll take your recommendation. When I googled it, I didn't find any science involved in the movie's plot, so I'm curious, is cosmology/physics a theme of this movie? And any more detail about what exactly is so great about it would be appreciated.

p.s. I've not seen Ratatouille or any of the Pirate movies

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nope.. I'm not going to describe it any more than what I've said. I will, however, tell you that even IF it is a "Musical/Romance", it is not your usual musical/romance. The closest that I can compare it with visually is Moulin Rouge, but even THAT isn't an adequate description.

I probably ought to spank you for not seeing Ratatouille. Not seeing any of the Pirates movies, I can understand. But Ratatouille? Did you know that it broke all box-office records in France, and stayed at the #1 position for a whole month? That's unusual for France and the French, especially for an american animation movie ABOUT a french subject, which had never before been this well-received there. So that should tell you a lot about Ratatouille.

Zz.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    I've been seeing the trailer everywhere for a while now. Would love to see it, but it's not playing in my area. :frown:

Here's the trailer if anyone wants to check it out.
    http://movies.aol.com/movie/across-the-universe/25070/main

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    OK, so THAT'S how it's going to be between us, huh?

LOL... but, Moulin Rouge I've not seen either.

LOL. You'll have to excuse the poor state of my movie-life.

Pretty interesting bit of trivia. I pretty much assumed Ratatouille was just another clone of the Disney/Pixar kiddie film genre. I guess I'll check that one out too if it is THAT good. But if I don't like them, I get to spank YOU for suggesting them!

8. Sep 23, 2007 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Promises, promises!

:)

Zz.

9. Sep 24, 2007 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So, what did you think of the movie?

Zz.

10. Sep 24, 2007 #9

Doc Al

two thumbs up!

Loved it. Very creative and well done.

11. Sep 24, 2007 #10

berkeman

Well maybe YOU will tell us what it's about?

12. Sep 24, 2007 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

<ZapperZ looks at Doc Al>

Don't you dare!!!

:)

Zz.

13. Sep 24, 2007 #12

Doc Al

Not a word from me. :cool: (I almost slipped before, but caught myself.)

14. Sep 24, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I'm definitely interested! Would this be okay to watch on Integral's 50" inch Plasma TV [or whatever he's up to now :biggrin:], or is this a theater must?

15. Sep 24, 2007 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I would say that this is something you want to watch at a very good theater, meaning stadium seating and good sound.

Zz.

16. Sep 24, 2007 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That pretty much leaves out everything within a 100mi of here. Looks like my Home Theater will have to do. When is the DVD out?

17. Sep 24, 2007 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We could arrange stadium-like seating in your livingroom.

18. Sep 24, 2007 #17
    And I can arrange for the #1 foam hands if required

19. Sep 25, 2007 #18

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure you could sit on the back of the couch, while Tsu sits between your legs on the couch, Riki of course sits under the couch. .. Guess that buts you in the balcony!:approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?