Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acs exam mystery

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I would like to take an official version of the ACS exam for Organic Chemistry, but I cannot find out how to do this. I took an old version as part of my 2nd Semester Community College OChem Final, but those scores don't count officially. I really want to take a current version soon so that I can have it on my records. Does anyone know how I can arrange to take the test and have my score officially recorded?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wasn't aware that the ACS provided testing services like other organizations like the GRE subject tests. I always thought the ACS tests were a service provided to teachers so their students could be tested to a common level and the results compared on a nationwide basis.

I think the only place you can take an ACS Organic test will be with a teacher willing to give it and it's never "official". Try the ACS website for yourself and see if this makes sense to you.

4. Jun 19, 2012 #3
    Thanks Chemisttree,

That does make sense to me. The main reason that I was seeking an "official" version of the test was so I could list my placement on a resume or application. I scored in the 99th percentile, but we were given a test that was years old. Is my score still valid enough to list on a resume or college App?

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It shouldn't hurt you but I've never heard of a college admissions office reviewing an ACS High School test result to determine a student's qualifications for admission. They usually ask for standardized tests like the SAT. If the college you are applying to is very restrictive, it might help... it sure wouldn't hurt your chances. If you have any question about it, I would contact a few admission offices at the schools you intend to apply to. An out of date test shouldn't matter at all.

I've never thought of using test results like this one for a resume. It might be fine if you have absolutely no experience and the job you are applying for is related in some way to chemistry.

6. Jun 21, 2012 #5
    Thanks again ChemisTree,

High School? Are there really high school students who have completed two semesters of organic chemistry? Amazing. I'm a transfer student, and I would be going into a university as a Junior. I may go straight to grad school, as I already have a BA (in music) and it seems to be nearly impossible to get a second BS in California. I figured an ACS Ochem score might help me get into a BioInformatics program, or some other Computer Science field that involves Bio or Chem.

Thanks for your time.

7. Jun 21, 2012 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, there are some High School Students that take college courses for High School credit. For example, this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook