Action in Relativity: Non-Relativistic vs Relativistic Particles

• I
  • Thread starter Meddusa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the two different ways of writing the action in relativity, one being S = ∫ ds and the other being S= -mc ∫ ds. It is clarified that both are for relativistic particles, and the minus sign is due to the Lagrangian being the difference between kinetic and potential energy. The use of mc in front of the action is to ensure the correct units of energy. The conversation also touches on the derivation of the geodesic equation and the notation of ds = cdτ, where τ is the proper time.
Meddusa
Hi,
I found that action in relativity is written in two ways:

1) S = ∫ ds

2) S= -mc ∫ ds

is (1) for non-relativistic particles and (2) for the relativistic particle ?
why there is a minus sign in front of it?
I read that writing (2) is up to a guess (-mc term), is it very interesting, anyone comment on this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Both are for relativistic particles. The minus sign is because the Lagrangian L is the difference between kinetic T and potential energy U, so in this case one has L=T. The mc in front of it is to have the units of energy right. See e.g. Zwiebach's book on String Theory.

Likes Meddusa
In relativistic physics the Lagrangian is not ##T-V##.

The argument goes as follows. For a free particle you should have a Poincare invariant variation of the action. Because of the symmetry under space-time translations the Lagrangian must be a function of ##\dot{\vec{x}}## only. The only scalar action you can build is
$$S_0=-m c^2 \int \mathrm{d} t \sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}.$$
Interactions with external fields can be easily built in by assuming reparametrization invariance, i.e., to keep the Lagrangian fist-order homogeneous in ##\dot{x}^{\mu}=(c,\dot{\vec{x}})##. The most simple example is the motion in an electromagnetic field represented by the four-vector potential ##A^{\mu}##:
$$L_{\text{em}}=-mc^2 \sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}-\frac{q}{c} \dot{x}^{\mu} A_{\mu}.$$
The kinetic energy follows from the free-particle Lagrangian in the usual way as, ##\vec{p}=\partial L_0/\partial \dot{\vec{x}}##
$$T=\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}-L_0=\frac{m c^2}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}}.$$
Note that in the case of the em. field the momenta are not the mechanical but the canonical momenta, which differ in this case
$$\vec{p}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\vec{x}}} = \frac{m \dot{\vec{x}}}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}}+\frac{q}{c} \vec{A}.$$
The Hamiltonian in this case thus is
$$H=T+q A^0.$$

Likes Meddusa
vanhees71 said:
In relativistic physics the Lagrangian is not ##T-V##.
Yes. This point is not often highlighted.

vanhees71 said:
The kinetic energy follows from the free-particle Lagrangian in the usual way as, ##\vec{p}=\partial L_0/\partial \dot{\vec{x}}##
$$T=\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}-L_0=\frac{m c^2}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}}.$$

The Legendre transformation of the free-particle Lagrangian gives the free-particle Hamiltonian.
In special relativity, the expression ##\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}-L_0=\frac{m c^2}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}}## is equal to the "relativistic energy" (the time-component of the particle's 4-momentum).

However, curiously, that is not equal to the "relativistic kinetic energy", which is
##m c^2\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}}-1\right)##, as one gets from the work-energy theorem.
In fact, it appears that the relativistic kinetic energy is not a term in either the Lagrangian or Hamiltonian of a free relativistic particle.

I would argue that the minus sign in the action (and in the Lagrangian) is needed to get the canonical momentum of the free-particle equal to the "relativistic momentum" (the spatial-components of the particle's 4-momentum).

Likes Meddusa, vanhees71 and haushofer
Yes, you're right, I was confused. Something similar confused me some time ago concerning the Hilbert action, regarding it as a kinetic energy term for the metric.

Thank you all for detailed answers but still I do not feel I got the point.
Writing action without (mc) term means what?

On wikipedia, derivation of the geodesic equation is starting with S = ∫ ds
where ds is specified as "line element"

Meddusa said:
I found that action in relativity is written in two ways:

1) S = ∫ ds

2) S= -mc ∫ ds

The first isn't really an action, it's a time (the elapsed proper time on the particle's clock between two fixed events). The second multiplies that time by a constant with units of energy (the particle's rest energy) in order to make it an action. The sign flip is because the equation of motion is derived by minimizing the action, but that corresponds to maximizing the elapsed proper time.

PeterDonis said:
The first isn't really an action, it's a time (the elapsed proper time on the particle's clock between two fixed events). The second multiplies that time by a constant with units of energy (the particle's rest energy) in order to make it an action. The sign flip is because the equation of motion is derived by minimizing the action, but that corresponds to maximizing the elapsed proper time.

I am clearer now.
In the notation ds=cdτ where τ is the proper time, right?

Thanks a lot !

Recall that:
in dynamics, action has units of energy*time=momentum*displacement=Units of Planck's constant.

1. What is the difference between non-relativistic and relativistic particles in action?

Non-relativistic particles are those that move at speeds much slower than the speed of light, while relativistic particles are those that move at speeds close to the speed of light. This difference in speed leads to different equations and principles being used to describe their actions in relativity.

2. How does the relativistic action of a particle differ from its non-relativistic action?

The relativistic action of a particle takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speed of the particle. These effects are not significant for non-relativistic particles and therefore are not considered in their action.

3. Can non-relativistic particles exhibit relativistic behavior?

No, non-relativistic particles cannot exhibit relativistic behavior as they do not possess enough energy to reach speeds close to the speed of light. Relativistic behavior is only observed in particles traveling at or near the speed of light.

4. How does the action of a relativistic particle change as its speed approaches the speed of light?

As the speed of a particle approaches the speed of light, the action of the particle increases and approaches infinity. This is due to the fact that the energy and momentum of a particle also increase as its speed approaches the speed of light, leading to a larger action value.

5. What role does the concept of rest mass play in the action of a particle?

The concept of rest mass is used to describe the mass of a particle when it is at rest, or moving at non-relativistic speeds. This mass is used in the calculation of the action of a non-relativistic particle. However, for relativistic particles, the concept of rest mass is not applicable and the mass must be calculated using the relativistic mass formula.