1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Action of perfect fluid

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    The energy momentum tensor of perfect fluid is

[itex]T^{\alpha \beta} = \left( \rho + p \right) \, U^\alpha U^\beta - p \, g^{\alpha \beta} [/itex]

It must be derived by varying the metric in the action of matter fields but I've never seen that action. Anyone knows it?

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2
    However moved that question, it belongs to General Relativity section not to 'Homework and Coursework', geezus ....

4. May 8, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

A relevant citation

I assume you are asking for a Lagrangian formulation of a complete thermodynamic description of a perfect fluid, i.e. with variables n (particle number density), [itex]rho[/itex] (mass-energy density), p (pressure), T (temperature), s (entropy per particle), and [itex]\vec{U}[/itex] (four-velocity of the fluid) as per MTW. If so, Schutz and Sorkin showed that any such formulation must force additional constraints. That is, there is no general formulation, but there are proposed action formulations for special cases. See for example gr-qc/9304026

5. May 8, 2007 #4
    Yes, that's what I needed to see. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?