Activation energy/bond enthelpy

• Thread starter GeneralOJB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Activation
In summary, activation energy is the minimum amount of energy needed to start a chemical reaction. It is related to bond enthalpy, as breaking and forming bonds requires energy. Temperature can affect activation energy, with higher temperatures lowering the energy barrier for reactions. Catalysts can also lower activation energy by providing an alternate reaction pathway. Activation energy can be determined experimentally by measuring reaction rates at different temperatures or by using the principle of microscopic reversibility.
GeneralOJB
I'm doing A level Chemistry, and my teacher isn't good at explaining things. I know activation energy is the minimum energy required for a reaction to take place - so is that just the energy required to break the original bonds? And is the activation energy for a particular bond to form the same as the bond enthalpy (to break the bond)?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you checked the wikipedia article on the activation energy? I think it addresses both your questions.

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required to start a chemical reaction. It is often described as the "energy barrier" or "activation barrier" that must be overcome for a reaction to occur.

2. How is activation energy related to bond enthalpy?

Bond enthalpy is the measure of the strength of a chemical bond. Activation energy is directly related to bond enthalpy, as breaking and forming chemical bonds requires energy. The higher the bond enthalpy, the higher the activation energy required for a reaction to occur.

3. How does temperature affect activation energy?

Increasing the temperature can lower the activation energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. This is because higher temperatures increase the kinetic energy of molecules, making them more likely to overcome the energy barrier and react.

4. Can catalysts affect activation energy?

Yes, catalysts can lower the activation energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. They do this by providing an alternate reaction pathway with a lower activation energy, making the reaction more favorable and increasing the rate of the reaction.

5. How is activation energy determined experimentally?

Activation energy is typically determined by measuring the reaction rate at different temperatures and using the Arrhenius equation to calculate the activation energy. It can also be determined by measuring the activation energy of the reverse reaction and using the principle of microscopic reversibility.