Activation energy for oxidation of ascorbic acid.

In summary, the best ways to find an accepted value for the activation energy are to consult with a chemistry professor or search for peer-reviewed research articles online.
leduc
Hello, I am writing my extended essay (in the International Baccalaureate) in chemistry, yet I have come across a major problem! I calculated the activation energy for the reaction:

2C6H8O6 + 02 <=> 2C6H6O6 + 2H20

I have found Ea to be 2 kJmol^-1, which is a very small value! I desperately need an accepted value for this, as my essay is already due on friday!
Please, any suggestions?
I went to the city's library and sat for hours looking in the Merck's Index and so on, yet I could not find anything on activation energy.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to find an accepted value for the activation energy would be to consult with a chemistry professor at your school or local university. They will be able to provide you with an accurate value based on their knowledge and experience. Alternatively, you can search online for peer-reviewed research articles that address the same reaction. These articles can provide you with the accepted values for the activation energy.

Hello, it is great to hear that you are conducting an extended essay in chemistry for the International Baccalaureate. The activation energy for the oxidation of ascorbic acid is an important parameter to understand the kinetics of this reaction. However, it is important to note that the activation energy can vary depending on the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pressure, and presence of catalysts.

In regards to your calculated value of 2 kJmol^-1, it is possible that this value is accurate for the specific conditions you have used in your experiment. However, it is always best to compare your results with accepted values from reliable sources to ensure accuracy.

One suggestion would be to consult scientific literature, such as research articles or textbooks, to find accepted values for the activation energy of this reaction. Additionally, you can also reach out to your chemistry teacher or a local university professor for guidance on where to find this information.

It is also important to keep in mind that the activation energy for a reaction can be influenced by various factors, and it may not always be a fixed value. Therefore, it is important to state the conditions under which you have calculated the activation energy in your essay.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with your extended essay. Remember to always cite your sources and double-check your calculations to ensure the accuracy of your results. Good luck!

1. What is activation energy for oxidation of ascorbic acid?

Activation energy for oxidation of ascorbic acid is the minimum amount of energy required for the oxidation reaction to occur. It is the energy barrier that must be overcome for the reaction to proceed.

2. Why is activation energy important in the oxidation of ascorbic acid?

Activation energy is important because it determines the rate at which the oxidation reaction of ascorbic acid will occur. A higher activation energy means a slower reaction rate, while a lower activation energy means a faster reaction rate.

3. How does the concentration of ascorbic acid affect the activation energy for oxidation?

The concentration of ascorbic acid does not directly affect the activation energy for oxidation. However, a higher concentration of ascorbic acid may lead to a faster reaction rate, which means the activation energy barrier is being overcome more quickly.

4. Can the activation energy for oxidation of ascorbic acid be lowered?

Yes, the activation energy for oxidation of ascorbic acid can be lowered by using a catalyst. A catalyst provides an alternate pathway for the reaction to occur, which requires a lower activation energy.

5. What factors can affect the activation energy for oxidation of ascorbic acid?

The factors that can affect the activation energy for oxidation of ascorbic acid include temperature, concentration of reactants, pH, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher temperatures, higher concentrations, and lower pH levels can all decrease the activation energy, while a catalyst can significantly lower the activation energy barrier.