1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Activation energy from dynamic NMR

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to calculate the activation energy (barrier of rotation) of an amide bond. I have NMR spectra at various temperatures. I know that once I have the rates I can do an Arrhenius plot to find the activation energy, but I'm having trouble with the ``finding the rates'' part.

I found some equations and I want to confirm that I am doing the right thing

2. Relevant equations

Slow exchange (defined peaks)

k = pi*(va - vo)

where va is the full width at half height of the peak that has experienced some widening due to exchange. vo is the initial full width at half height of a peak due to no exchange (essentially the FWHH of a peak at low temperatures).

intermediate exchange

k = (pi * (do^2 - da^2))/2^.5

where do is the difference between the peaks when no exchange occurs (again at low temps). da is the difference between the peaks in spectrum.

fast exchange

k = pi * do^2 /(2(va - vo))

3. The attempt at a solution

I went through and did the calculation and came up with an Ea of 18 kcal/mol which is reasonable considering the Ea of the very similar peptide bond is about 20 kcal/mol. The problem occurs in the frequency factor which is off the charts (e^32) so this is giving me reason to believe I might not be using the correct equations.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?