1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Activation energy

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Activation energy

The reaction, 2NOCI (g) = 2NO (g) + Cl[tex]^{}_2{}[/tex](g) , has rate constant values for the reaction of NOCl of 9.3 x 10^-6 Is at 350 K and 6.9 x 10^-4 Is at 400 K. Calculate the activation energy for the reaction. What is the rate constant at 425 K?

I am unsure how to solve this. Can someone help me and show me how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    SCREAMS arrhenius equation.

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    Excuse me, why the rude behavior? This is suppose to be a help forum. It might be obvious to you, but I'm not sure if im using the equation right.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    The Arrhenius equation is ln(k) = ln(A) - E/(RT). You are given values of k at two different temperatures T. R is the gas constant, A and E are empirical constants, E being the activation energy. So just plug the corresponding values (k,T) into this equation to generate two equations in two unknowns. After you know A and E, use the equation to get k at any other T. Does this help?

6. Feb 27, 2008 #5
    Yes thank you. I already figured this out on my own. That is exactly what I did. Ea=100,232, A=8.47x10^9, and with T=425 I got 4.06x10^-3 for k.

I hope i did the math right but it looks right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?