Solving Activation Energy: How to Calculate Reverse Reaction

In summary, to calculate the activation energy for a reverse reaction, the Arrhenius equation can be used and it is directly proportional to temperature. The rate constant for a reverse reaction can also be determined using this equation. The same method can be used for both forward and reverse reactions, but the values for temperature and rate of reaction may differ. Other factors that can affect the activation energy include the presence of a catalyst, changes in reactant concentration, and physical state of the reactants.
proskier
Please I need some help. I'm working on a chemistry question and have to determine the activation energy for a reverse reaction. How do you do that? I've looked all over my text and through my notes and cannot find a clear way on how to solve it.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
proskier said:
Please I need some help. I'm working on a chemistry question and have to determine the activation energy for a reverse reaction. How do you do that? I've looked all over my text and through my notes and cannot find a clear way on how to solve it.
Thanks.

If the reaction is A --> B and this has a DeltaG(A-->B) and an activation energy E1, then the activation energy E2 of the reverse reaction B --> A is E2 = DeltaG(A-->B) - E1.

Last edited:
Is DeltaG the heat of reaction?

deltaG is called the Free Gibbs Energy.
but I don't think we need deltaG here.

mysqlpress said:
deltaG is called the Free Gibbs Energy.
but I don't think we need deltaG here.
The issue is not simple. See, e.g., Atkins - Physical Chemistry, par. 27.6.

i'm still not getting it... so here's the question:

For the reaction CO + NO2 --> CO2 + NO the activation energy for the forward reaction is 135 kJ/mol of CO reacted.
a) Determine the heat of reaction.
For this I got -379.1 kJ/mol by using the heats of formation from my text and reversed the signs given to the reactants. I'm assuming this is right because I can't find another way to do this.

b) From the data given. and the Delta Hr for the reaction, determine the activation energy (Ea) for the reverse reaction.
This is where I'm stuck. I added the heat of reaction to the 135 kJ/mol given to me and got another negative number. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

proskier said:
i'm still not getting it... so here's the question:

For the reaction CO + NO2 --> CO2 + NO the activation energy for the forward reaction is 135 kJ/mol of CO reacted.
a) Determine the heat of reaction.
For this I got -379.1 kJ/mol by using the heats of formation from my text and reversed the signs given to the reactants. I'm assuming this is right because I can't find another way to do this.

b) From the data given. and the Delta Hr for the reaction, determine the activation energy (Ea) for the reverse reaction.
This is where I'm stuck. I added the heat of reaction to the 135 kJ/mol given to me and got another negative number. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

You are right, I wrote "+" thinking "-". I'm sorry!
The correct equation is:
E2 = DeltaG(A-->B) - E1
I have corrected my previous post.

For the reaction:

[tex]CO + NO_2\ \rightarrow\ CO_2 + NO[/tex]

I get:

[tex]\Delta H = -225.91\ kJmol^{-1}\ (Heat\ of\ reaction)[/tex]

[tex]\Delta G = -221.95\ kJmol^{-1}[/tex]

So, for the reversed reaction:

[tex]CO_2 + NO \rightarrow\ CO + NO_2[/tex]

you would have: 135 + 221.95 = 356.95 kJ/mol as Gibbs free energy of activation, assuming that 135 kJ/mol was the Gibbs free energy of activation of the reversed reaction.

Last edited:
thanks a lot really appreciate it

would you possibly be able to show me the steps as to how you received -225.91 as your answer, I tried looking through multiply textbooks and internet sites but I can't seem to find where you got your numbers, greatly appreciate it if you could

crimsontears said:
would you possibly be able to show me the steps as to how you received -225.91 as your answer, I tried looking through multiply textbooks and internet sites but I can't seem to find where you got your numbers, greatly appreciate it if you could
P.W. Atkins - Physical Chemistry - Fifth Edition:

[tex] \Delta H^0_f(CO_2)_g = -393.51\ kJ mol^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] \Delta H^0_f(NO)_g = 90.25\ kJ mol^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] \Delta H^0_f(CO)_g = -110.53\ kJ mol^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] \Delta H^0_f(NO_2)_g = 33.18\ kJ mol^{-1} [/tex]

So, for the reaction

[tex]CO + NO_2\ \rightarrow\ CO_2 + NO[/tex]

you have:

[tex]\Delta H^0_{reaction}\ =\ (-393.51\ +\ 90.25)\ -\ (-110.53\ +\ 33.18)\ =\ -225.91\ kJ mol^{-1}[/tex]

1. How do I calculate the activation energy for a reverse reaction?

To calculate the activation energy for a reverse reaction, you need to use the Arrhenius equation which is: ln(k2/k1) = (-Ea/R) x (1/T2 - 1/T1), where k is the rate constant, Ea is the activation energy, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and activation energy for a reverse reaction?

The activation energy for a reverse reaction is directly proportional to temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the activation energy also increases, and as the temperature decreases, the activation energy decreases.

3. How can I determine the rate constant for a reverse reaction?

The rate constant for a reverse reaction can be determined by using the Arrhenius equation and substituting in the known values for the activation energy, temperature, and rate of reaction at two different temperatures.

4. Can I use the same method to calculate activation energy for both forward and reverse reactions?

Yes, the same method, the Arrhenius equation, can be used to calculate the activation energy for both forward and reverse reactions. However, the values for temperature and rate of reaction may differ between the two reactions.

5. What other factors can affect the activation energy of a reverse reaction?

The presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy of a reverse reaction, making it easier for the reaction to occur. Additionally, changes in the concentration of reactants and the physical state of the reactants (such as surface area) can also affect the activation energy.