Understanding Active and Passive Drag in Swimming: A Guide for French Students

• Thread starter Fairytales
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary, the speaker is a French student who will be presenting a project on swimsuits for an entrance examination. They are struggling to find information in English and are specifically looking for a connection between active and passive drag and the three types of drag in swimming: surface drag, form drag, and pressure drag. They also mention that wave making drag is the most important form of drag for a swimmer at the surface or a small boat.
Fairytales
Hello,

I'm a french student. I will have to present a project for an entrance examination in a year's time and I've chosen to work on swimsuit. (is it considered as howework ?)
The problem is that I find most of the information on english written websites, which makes it hard to understand.

In fact I found that there were 3 types of drag opposing a swimmer : surface drag, form drag (inertial drag) and pressure drag. The problem is that I don't understand in what way active and passive drag are related to these 3 kinds of drag.

Thank you for your help :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Passive drag is the drag you get when you tow a swimmer through the water.

Active drag is the additional drag because of swimming movements.

Surface drag, also called skin friction.
this is due to the viscosity (thickness) of the water.
proportional to the speed and to the surface area of the swimmer.
This will be nearly the same for active and passive drag, as the amount of surface will change little when swimming as opposed to floating

Form drag / pressure drag. These are the same. For a swimmer at the surface or a small boat, actually wave making drag is the most important form of drag (It's also called wave drag, but that is something different for aircraft). It will go up a lot when swimming.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_making_resistance"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is active drag and passive drag?

Active drag is the resistance force that is caused by the movement of an object through a fluid, such as water. It is generated by the body's movements and can be reduced by improving technique. Passive drag, on the other hand, is the resistance force that is caused by the shape and size of an object moving through a fluid.

How do active drag and passive drag affect performance in swimming?

Active drag can significantly slow down a swimmer's performance by requiring more energy to overcome the resistance force. On the other hand, reducing passive drag can improve a swimmer's speed and efficiency in the water.

What factors affect active and passive drag?

The factors that affect active and passive drag include the shape and size of the object, the speed and direction of movement, and the density and viscosity of the fluid. Other factors such as body position and technique can also have an impact on drag.

How can active and passive drag be reduced?

To reduce active drag, swimmers can work on improving their technique, such as reducing unnecessary movements and increasing the efficiency of their strokes. Passive drag can be reduced by using streamlined equipment and clothing, as well as maintaining a streamlined body position while swimming.

How can measuring active and passive drag be useful for swimmers?

Measuring and understanding the levels of active and passive drag can help swimmers identify areas for improvement in their technique and equipment. It can also help coaches and trainers assess a swimmer's progress and make adjustments to training programs to improve performance.