Active Denial Technology [Pain guns]

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...According to the DoE, the technology is capable of rapidly heating human skin to a pain level that has been demonstrated as "very effective at repelling people" without apparently burning the skin or causing other secondary effects.

ADT emits a 95GHz non-ionizing electromagnetic beam of energy that penetrates approximately 1/64 of an inch into human skin tissue, where nerve receptors are concentrated.

Within seconds, the beam will heat the exposed skin tissue to a level where intolerable pain is experienced and natural defense mechanisms take over. This intense heating sensation stops only if the individual moves out of the beam's path or the beam is turned of, vnu.com said [continued]
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/terrorwar-05zk.html

It wouldn't work here in Oregon, or any place else that has a methamphetamine problem.

Last edited:
The weapon may be too dangerous to use, because the intolerable pain may cause the person to go into shock causing more damage than intended

Pengwuino

Gold Member
KonradKorzenowski said:
The weapon may be too dangerous to use, because the intolerable pain may cause the person to go into shock causing more damage than intended
Thats a noodle scratcher :D. Does the body go into shock because of pain or because severe damage is being 'dealt' to your body? This weapon only "microwaves" the upper most layers of your skin so it doesnt seem like a whole lot of damage is realistically being done.

There is such a thing as phychologically induced shock, but only a
wussy coudn't take 95 GHz without dying.

I'm not sure if the eye wouldn't get cataracts even from a 1/64th
inch penetration of the cornea though.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So, I see a market for personal Faraday cages or shields. :biggrin:

Danger

Gold Member
Astronuc said:
So, I see a market for personal Faraday cages or shields. :biggrin:
I keep forgetting how old you are. You're the same guy who marketed lead petticoats when X-rays were discovered, aren't you? :tongue:

By the way, I seem to recall somebody somewhere offering Faraday cages, but I can't for the life of me remember where or why. Might have had something to do with the cell phone/brain cancer scare.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pain Beam Not Easily Foiled

...Captain Jay Delarosa, spokesman for the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate told me:

"We have conducted extensive testing and have determined that most readily available materials are not effective as countermeasures against the ADS.“ [continued]
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003107.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

russ_watters

Mentor
It is all about rules of engagament. If it is used in a situation where a gun otherwise might have been used, it is clearly the safer alternative.

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Any weapon has that capability.

Sounds like the US police will soon have a new toy next to taser and pepper spray to torture people into cooperating. Don't let them tell you this will replace "lethal' weapons we all know this is bull!!

Sounds like the US police will soon have a new toy next to taser and pepper spray to torture people into cooperating. Don't let them tell you this will replace "lethal' weapons we all know this is bull!!
You obviously have no knowledge of how the US law enforcement works. Have you watched the entire video of that incident? After they told him to leave, he was in violation of the law. When the cops went to remove him from the building, he resisted. The cops were 100% correct in their actions.

But let's keep the thread on topic. you can PM me if you want to discuss this more.

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The main difference is that this is an area weapon - like tear gas ( or carpet bombing)
You can 'taser' an entire demonstration/march with this. In fact you could fit it to all CCTV cameras and be able to create an automatic demo-free zone.

How large is this thing? And how large of a battery does this need? Doesn't seem like this would work at very long distances.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads