Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Active Denial Technology [Pain guns]

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/terrorwar-05zk.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2005 #2
    It wouldn't work here in Oregon, or any place else that has a methamphetamine problem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  4. Jul 27, 2005 #3
    The weapon may be too dangerous to use, because the intolerable pain may cause the person to go into shock causing more damage than intended

5. Jul 27, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Thats a noodle scratcher :D. Does the body go into shock because of pain or because severe damage is being 'dealt' to your body? This weapon only "microwaves" the upper most layers of your skin so it doesnt seem like a whole lot of damage is realistically being done.

6. Aug 2, 2005 #5
    There is such a thing as phychologically induced shock, but only a
    wussy coudn't take 95 GHz without dying.

I'm not sure if the eye wouldn't get cataracts even from a 1/64th
    inch penetration of the cornea though.

7. Aug 2, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

So, I see a market for personal Faraday cages or shields. :biggrin:

8. Aug 2, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I keep forgetting how old you are. You're the same guy who marketed lead petticoats when X-rays were discovered, aren't you? :tongue:

By the way, I seem to recall somebody somewhere offering Faraday cages, but I can't for the life of me remember where or why. Might have had something to do with the cell phone/brain cancer scare.

9. Jan 1, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pain Beam Not Easily Foiled

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003107.html

10. Jan 1, 2007 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is all about rules of engagament. If it is used in a situation where a gun otherwise might have been used, it is clearly the safer alternative.

11. Jan 2, 2007 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Any weapon has that capability.

12. Sep 6, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6300985.stm

13. Sep 22, 2007 #12
    Sounds like the US police will soon have a new toy next to taser and pepper spray to torture people into cooperating. Don't let them tell you this will replace "lethal' weapons we all know this is bull!!

14. Sep 24, 2007 #13
    You obviously have no knowledge of how the US law enforcement works. Have you watched the entire video of that incident? After they told him to leave, he was in violation of the law. When the cops went to remove him from the building, he resisted. The cops were 100% correct in their actions.

But let's keep the thread on topic. you can PM me if you want to discuss this more.

15. Sep 24, 2007 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The main difference is that this is an area weapon - like tear gas ( or carpet bombing)
    You can 'taser' an entire demonstration/march with this. In fact you could fit it to all CCTV cameras and be able to create an automatic demo-free zone.

16. Sep 26, 2007 #15
    How large is this thing? And how large of a battery does this need? Doesn't seem like this would work at very long distances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?