Active Noise Control Stereo?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating an active noise stereo that works like headphones but is a big speaker. The speaker's placement and the listener's position are important in active noise control. The conversation also touches on the physics of sound, such as the speed of sound in air, frequency range, and wavelengths. Additionally, the conversation discusses how a speaker reproduces different tone colors for different instruments based on their unique waveforms.
T.O.E Dream
I want to create an active noise stereo which works like the headphones except it's a big speaker. I need your help on how i would go about doing this? I ain't no electrical engineer or anything, in fact I have no knowledge whatsoever so try to help me using simple terms.

Engineering news on Phys.org
T.O.E Dream said:
I want to create an active noise stereo which works like the headphones except it's a big speaker. I need your help on how i would go about doing this? I ain't no electrical engineer or anything, in fact I have no knowledge whatsoever so try to help me using simple terms.

Have you been through the intro page at wikipedia, and followed some of the links at the end of the article?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_cancellation

A question about active noise control. Does there need to be a specific angle at which the speakers must be at with the sound source?

T.O.E Dream said:
A question about active noise control. Does there need to be a specific angle at which the speakers must be at with the sound source?

Yes, I believe that placement of both the noise source, the noise cancelling speaker(s) and the listener(s) are important. Can you tell us why that would be? BTW, do you know the speed of sound in air? And what is the normal range of frequencies of audio sounds that we hear? What are the corresponding wavelengths of sound in air? (Quiz questions for you)

im a musician who is also studying physics at high school, and we have come to the part where we talk about how speakers work and so on, but what i asked and my teacher couldn't sanswer was, how does a speaker produce the different tone colours of instruments.
if a violin plays a concert C and then a trumpet plays a concert C, how does the speaker change the tone of the sound so we recognise it as the respective instrument??

A good quality speaker will just reproduce the waveform that comes from the instrument.

Because the waveforms are different from each other, our ears recognise the instrument by its different waveform.

This is the waveform of a saxaphone:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/Music/saxw.html#c3
saxw1.gif

This is the waveform of a clarinet
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Music/clarw.html
claw1.gif

Note that the speaker cone can only be in one position at a time, so it only traces one waveform, even if it is reproducing all the instruments of the orchestra.

Attachments

• saxw1.gif
    saxw1.gif
    4 KB · Views: 422

What is active noise control stereo?

Active noise control stereo is a technology that uses advanced algorithms and digital signal processing to cancel out unwanted background noise in a stereo system. This allows for a clearer and more enjoyable listening experience.

How does active noise control stereo work?

Active noise control stereo works by using a microphone to detect background noise and then creating an inverse sound wave to cancel it out. This is achieved through the use of a digital signal processor and special algorithms that analyze and manipulate the sound waves in real time.

What are the benefits of using active noise control stereo?

The main benefit of using active noise control stereo is that it can significantly reduce unwanted background noise, creating a more immersive and enjoyable listening experience. It can also help to protect your hearing by allowing you to listen to music at lower volumes without sacrificing sound quality.

Are there any limitations to active noise control stereo?

While active noise control stereo can be effective in canceling out steady, low-frequency background noise, it may not be as effective with sudden or high-pitched noises. Additionally, the technology is still developing and may not be as effective in all environments.

Is active noise control stereo worth the investment?

This ultimately depends on individual preferences and needs. If you frequently listen to music in noisy environments, then active noise control stereo may be a worthwhile investment. However, if you primarily listen to music in quiet environments, the added cost may not be necessary.