Active pull/push,open collector,three state

• Thread starter beserk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, this book is a great introduction to electronics and can help you understand basic concepts like push/pull, open collector, tristate. There is usually a pull-up resistor included in push-pull arrangements to replace the missing transistor, so be sure to check out the book if you're interested in learning more.
beserk
I'm a mechanical engineer starting with electronics.I am unable to understand concepts like pull\push, open collector, tristate etc.
Please help me with tips,links,books etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
beserk said:
I'm a mechanical engineer starting with electronics.I am unable to understand concepts like pull\push, open collector, tristate etc.
Please help me with tips,links,books etc.

Nomally the output of a logic chip is a one or a zero and this is done by
making the pin on the chip present a high or low voltage. This is push-pull.

Depending on what you connect to the pin, current could flow either
into or out of the pin for either a one or a zero.

Also, you would never want to connect two outputs together because
they could fight each other.

A tri-state output can be "opened-up" under logic control so it looks
like the pin has been disconnected from the chip. This let's you connect
several outputs together in a way where the logic can decide which of
them is doing the outputing. It's a push-pull with a disable feature.

Open collector is when it's only pull, not push. The pin can only pull
current into it, it's can't push current out. This let's you connect
several outputs and they won't fight but you don't have to have
any disable logic. There is usually something called a "pull-up resistor"
to replace the missing transistor in a push-pull arrangement.

Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but this is the best intro to electronics book I've found -- really good at several levels from basic up through intermediate:

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill
Amazon:

I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be disappointed by this book. Check it out in your library first if you want before buying it.

Great explanation by Antiphon, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is active pull/push?

Active pull/push refers to the electrical signals used to control the flow of current in electronic circuits. It involves actively pulling or pushing the voltage levels to a certain state, either high or low, to turn on or off a device or component.

2. What is open collector?

Open collector is a type of output circuit in which the collector of a transistor is not connected to any voltage supply. Instead, it is left open, allowing the output to be controlled by the pull-up resistor and external logic. This allows for multiple outputs to be connected together without interference.

3. What is three-state logic?

Three-state logic is a type of logic circuit that allows for three possible outputs: high, low, and high impedance. The high impedance state allows the output to be disconnected from the circuit, reducing power consumption and preventing interference with other outputs.

4. How is active pull/push different from passive pull/push?

The main difference between active and passive pull/push is that active pull/push involves actively controlling the voltage levels, while passive pull/push relies on the natural flow of current. Active pull/push is more commonly used in modern electronic circuits as it allows for faster and more precise control.

5. In what applications are these techniques commonly used?

Active pull/push, open collector, and three-state logic are commonly used in digital circuits, such as microcontrollers, memory chips, and data buses. They are also used in communication systems, such as buses and networks, to control the flow of data and prevent interference.