Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Actual Distance Between Atoms of an Ideal Gas

1. Sep 19, 2004 #1
    Hi, I am working on a project in which I need to know the distance between the particles in an ideal gas system. I have tried searching (google) for it but was unable to come with any actual values, just general terms. Can anyone refer me to where I might find this? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1 mole of a gas has ~ 10^24 molecules and occupies about 22 liters (or 22 dm^3) at STP. So, the average spacing between molecules is roughly the cube root of 22*10^-24 dm ~ 3*10^-8 dm = 3*10^-9 m or about 30 angstroms or 3 nm.

Note : This distance is a function of temperature. Use the Ideal Gas Law to figure out for other P,T values.

The mean free path calculator here also gives average intermolecular spacing.
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/menfre.html#c3

I know that Nitrogen deviates little from ideality over a fair range of temperatures and pressures...so here goes (now using this calculator, to double check):

At 760mm Hg, 273 K and molecular diameter of 2.0 A (2.0 * 10^-10 m), which is the diameter of a N2 molecule, the calculator gives 3.3 nm...close enough to my guess. :smile:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  4. Sep 19, 2004 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?